Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINIONS?    

CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINIONS?

JUANBEGI
Spain

CAN YOU PLEASE LET ME KNOW YOUR OPINIONS?

As you know, I am a true Simpson fan but I need you to give me your ideas and opinions. Let �s see, The Simspsons are really popular for our students. I use them to attend the diversity of the classromm but:

What aspects of the curriculum can be stimulated and taught by using  "The Simpsons", what are the strengths and weaknesses of using such material, and what advantages and disadvantages will it give us, as teachers,r in relating to his/her pupils? Give me your impressions. Thank you so much in advance. Hugs from Andalusia my dear matesSmile

17 May 2009      

Vickiii
New Zealand

Simpsons are popular and well known.  It provides a whole community for you to draw on to teach your students.  Because there is a shared pool of knowledge - it makes teaching many subjects easy - without haveing to gather personal data on people:
1) Family - some excellent family tree excercises on the site.
2) occupations  - you can talk about retail (apu) through to scientist and entertainers (Krusty). 
3) verb �to be � - use the simpson character cards to discuss personal information. (i uploaded some of these as I am sure others have)
4) discussion on morals and values, parenting techniques, issues raised by different episodes, the list is exhaustive.
5) Writing excuses - check out Bart �s notes on the whiteboard - I must not ....  their are compilations of these around (check out youtube).  Get students to write their own misdeamonour up in a cynical and amusing way like bart does.
6) couch scenes - have students create their own couch scene skits.
7) Guess Who - ( I actually uploaded this resource but it is easy enough to search the net for the image).  Students describe their character bit by bit until their partner guesses who it is - or studentsw ask questions to guess who.  You cna do this on clothes, colour, body part descriptions, clothing, place (ie top half, left right etc)
8) animals - all the different animals that have appeared in simpsons is phenomenal. 
9) body parts (I uploaded one of these resources too - also is available on the online exercise section).
10) You can get students to create their own simpsons character and describe it to the class (there is a website that lets them do this for free).  you can focus on just appearance or include personality.
11) the list is endless!  enjoy -

I LOVE SIMPSONS!

17 May 2009