Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > A lot of...Use    

A lot of...Use

Isabel A.
Portugal

A lot of...Use

Can anyone tell me if saying "Teenagers don �t have a lot of pocket money... " is incorrect... I used the expression but a colleague of mine didn �t think it was right to say that, althought it seems right to me...

Thanks for helping me :) I knew I could count on you ;) This site is really a good tool for all of us ... Thank you all.

17 May 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

There is nothing wrong with that sentence. What was the reasoning behind your colleague´s objection?

17 May 2009     

merapi
Hungary

I think in spoken English it is often said although grammatically "Teenagers don �t have much pocket money." is more correct.

17 May 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Well Merapi, can I know why using " much" instead of " a lot of" is more correct??? I can �t see your point!!!!
" Much " and " a lot of " are both used with uncountable nouns. What difference do you see???

As for your sentence Isabel, it �s correct. Nothing is wrong!!!

Sincerely,
Nebal

17 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I think your friend may be saying that gramatically it is not used because a lot of is generally used with count and non count nouns but  in affirmative statements only.  In question statements it is used when you expect an affirmative answer.  In spoken English I often hear it used as I don �t have a lot of pocket  money.

17 May 2009     

douglas
United States

I see no problem with it.

17 May 2009     

Missfrancisca
Spain

according to some grammarians such as Quirk, much and many are used with non assertive sentences and a lot of with assertive, but in daily use I think both are used.

17 May 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Sounds fine to me - as does TEenagers don �t get much pocket money.

17 May 2009     

Isabel A.
Portugal

Well , I �m happy I was right... but I �m even happier that you all helped me Tongue Thanks you all ( Vickii, Miss Francisca, Douglas, Giovanni, Nebal, Merapi and Spagman63) ... I was structuring an exam in which I used that sentence because it �s the theme they �ve been studying and I shared it with her through email.. she didn �t explain why , she only questioned it ...That �s why I asked for your help.. Now I have many opinions Wink Thanks you all again... So nice of you to help me... I wish you all a great week Hug

17 May 2009