Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Dinner or lunch?    

Dinner or lunch?

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Silke:

Here in Canada we use supper to be the same as dinner.   For example I would say, �will you be home for supper? � I would use it the same as I would use �will you be home for dinner? �

As Susiebelle said, we can refer to dinner as a lunch when we have a Sunday dinner in the afternoon.  I would say

We  refer to �a brunch � when we have a very late breakfast.

17 May 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

No, you �re right, Ladybird.  Supper is a snack - something like toast or a sandwich later in the evening, ( a good while after dinner) just to keep you going until breakfast! Of course, many people don � �t have supper at all.

17 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

After reading Ballycastle �s post, I am under the impression that supper does not mean the same thing in North American as it does in Britain.  Supper in North America is defintely a big meal, it is not a snack and is the last meal of the day.  However, we can have a snack after supper, if we wish.

17 May 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Just read my reply, you got in ahead of me Giovanni - I didn �t mean the �no � to seem contradictory; I �m simply speaking about what �s done here in the UK.  Sorry if it seemed abrupt.

17 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Hi Ballycastle.

It didn �t seem abrupt at all.  But, out of curiosity in UK do you always refer to supper as a snack?

17 May 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

Usually, yes, but there are, as always, exceptions:  I was out last night at a friend �s house.  I had been invited for supper, so I knew to expect something more substantial than I would have at home - in this case it was a pasta dish and a dessert.  But I think it all boils down to what is customary in individual families and even regions, rather than countries.  For example, here in Northern Ireland, you could ask in a chip shop for a �fish supper � which means fish and chips.  This could be bought at any time of the day, not just in the evening.  Confusing, isn �t it?

17 May 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

No problem.  Just toddling off to get supper! Nite.

17 May 2009     

Kriszta2009
Hungary

It �s a bit clearer now. I am very happy to have got so many replies.
Thanks again!

17 May 2009     

< Previous   1    2