Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Simple Past vs Present Perfect    

Simple Past vs Present Perfect

Kita19
Portugal

Simple Past vs Present Perfect

Hello everybody!

I �m teaching the difference between Past Simple and Present Perfect to my private student and came across some sentences which made me think... Ermm

1- Peter _______ (play) tennis for 5 years when he ______(be) at school.

For example this one, I would definitely use Past Simple on both parts, but... there is one rule which says we should use Present Perfect with "for"... Confused I �m thinking of telling my student that we use the Past Simple because, in spite of having "for", it �s a finished time. What do you think? Is it a good explanation?

2- Maria _______ (believe) that for ages!

I really don �t know which tense would be correct here, because I think it depends on wheather Maria still believes that or not. Am I wrong?

3- I think our teacher ________ (forget) about the test! He _____ (not/say) anything about it in the last lesson.

In the 2nd gap we would use the Past Simple. But what about the 1st one? I �m not really sure... I would probably use the Present Perfect, because it �s a past situation connected to the present (the test hasn �t happened yet), but I �m not really sure...

4- We ____ (sell) our house. Some people ______ (see) it last month and _______ (buy) it.

What would you put in the 1st gap and why? I �m not sure. Confused

5- Peter _____ (pass) his driving test. He _____ (take) it last Friday.

Should we use the Simple Past or Present Perfect in the 1st gap? I �m thinking because, although it happened on Friday, it has results now, because now he can drive because he passed the test...

I would be extremely thankful if you could help me...

Thanks a lot in advance!!

Hug
Patr�cia

25 May 2009      

manonski (f)
Canada

1. Peter played tennis for 5 years when he was at school.

2. This one is tough. We don �t really know the context.

3. I think our teacher forgot about the test. He did not say anything.

4.We sold our house. Some people saw it last month and bought it.

5. Peter passed his driving test. He took it last Friday.

25 May 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

Hi Patricia! How are you?
Well, I agree with manonski �s answers to a certain extent but not completely... I mean, when not teaching I �d say those sentences just using past simple... However, and when teaching I prefer sticking to rules, even when they are not commpletely "true" since it may be confusing for students... I believe the present perfect has a lot to do with how the speaker feels about something. Let �s see...

1. In this sentence I think simple past should be used in both cases since they �re clearly finished actions determined by the phrase "when he was at school"

2. In this second sentence - and because there �s no context at all - I �d use present perfect. The sentence in isolation is more likely to refer to "up to now" and even if we knew Maria changed her mind in some point during the past I think past perfect should be used. For example if the sentence would have been "Maria had believed that for ages. However, when x happened she realized... "

3. In this sentence I �d use simple past because of the phrase "in the last lesson" so there �s no evidence of present consequence within the sentence... so it shows that that lesson is over. Otherwise, I �d say "I think our teacher has forgot about the test! He didn �t say anything about it (when he came in)". This way it �s clear the lesson is still going on.

4. In this sentence I �d say "We have sold our house. Some people saw it last month and bought it." because - and as believe - the present perfect has to do with how you feel about something in many cases and the fact of selling a house is not a minor thing in life. I mean, we don �t buy and sell houses everyday! Obviously, if you don �t consider the event as important you can always use past simple since it is just a finished action. Both possibilities are correct, I �d say.

5. The last one depends on the context as well... Imagine Peter failed his driving test 5 times! In that case I �d say "Peter has passed his driving test!" But if that is not the case... Simple past in both senteces would be perfect...

I hope you find my opinion about this useful!! I love discussing about this kind of things! So, you can count on me!!

Have a nice week!!!

Hugs from Uruguay!! Hug

25 May 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

1- Peter played tennis for 5 years when he was at school.
Simple past: action started and finished in the past.
For is also used in simple past.

2- Maria has believed that for ages!  Present perfect for me as there is nothing that says she does not any longer.

3- I think our teacher has forgotten about the test! He did not say anything about it in the last lesson.
I think each verb refers to a different moment so a diff tense is needed-
She/he  can still remember...but she/he definitely forgot last class.

4. We sold our house. Some people saw it last month and bought it.
All this seemed to happened last month or short afterward. There is no other time reference to think the action of selling is recent.

5. Peter passed his driving test. He took it last Friday.

Both actions took place last Friday:they started and finished then.

25 May 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi dear,
1- Peter has played tennis for 5 years when he was at school.

Why " has played" coz it expresses a situation that began in the past and continues to the present. Why do we call it" present perfect"? It �s perfected and completed in the present.

2- Maria has believed  that for ages!
 The same here as above.

3- I think our teacher has forgotten about the test! He didn �t say anything about it in the last lesson.
( This one I �m not sure of it!!!)

4- We  sold our house. Some people saw it last month and bought  it.
An action that occured and ended in the past. No more to continue in the present.

5- Peter passed his driving test. He took it last Friday.
The same as in 4.

Hope it �s cleare now!!!
Nebal

25 May 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

I think it may be as follows:

1- Peter played tennis for 5 years when he was at school.
Simple past: action started and finished in the past.
You have a time period in the past. � �when he was at school � �

2- Maria has believed that for ages!   Referring to this point in time.  Up to now.

3- I think our teacher has forgotten about the test! He did not say anything about it in the last lesson.

I am reporting some new information.

4. We have sold our house. Some people saw it last month and bought it.
Meaning we have just sold our house.  Reporting new information,. 
Both Present Perfect or Simple Past would be possible.

5. Peter has  passed his driving test. He took it last Friday
Meaning Peter has just passed his driving test.  Reporting new information.
Again, both Present Perfect or Simple Past would be possible.

25 May 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Present perfect usage is often up to the writer/speaker.
1. The first sentence HAS to be all past tense because both actions finished a while ago. We can �t use present perfect because the phrase �while he was in school � means he is no longer in school and probably has been out for a while.
2. Both simple past and present perfect are acceptable. 
3. Same as two for the first blank.
4. Again the same depending upon the speaker/writer.  Since it was sold last month I would tend to lean toward present perfect. 
5. This is getting redundant. lol  Both forms are correct.
Looks like I agree with Giovanni.

25 May 2009     

Portugal

Hi Kita,
1- Peter _______ (play) tennis for 5 years when he ______(be) at school. A nonsense sentence: Peter has played tennis for 5 yeas. A presentent perfect is needed, because there is a for; on the other hand, when he --- a school means he �s no longer at school. So, forget about mixing them together: it makes no sense.
2. Maria _______ (believe) that for ages! Good for her. Needs a present perfect. I hope she still does.
3- I think our teacher ________ (forget) about the test! He _____ (not/say) anything about it in the last lesson. Well, she has forgotten - she may need a break, happens to the best. Since she did �t say anything last lesson, which is the reason why the past simple should be used, maybe she �ll say during the next. Let �s hope and pray. Embarrassed
4- We ____ (sell) our house. Some people ______ (see) it last month and _______ (buy) it.
We have sold our house. It means we can no longer live in it. If you added a time expression like last month, you would have to use the past simple, like: Last month I sold my house, which is not the case. Some people saw but didn �t buy it, for the exact same reason: the time expression is there.

5- Peter _____ (pass) his driving test. He _____ (take) it last Friday. Since he took it last Friday, he has passed. These are correct forms, but since both sentences are so close, passed would be OK. But just OK.
HugBig hug,
Idalina Jorge(nikadixon)

25 May 2009     

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, my dear Patr�cia
How are you, where have you been?
Please, check your PM

25 May 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

One thing is for sure, without a context these exercises can be tough to solve. I tried to imagine situations where I �d say them before giving you my input. I must say that for some answers both tenses could have been used in my opinion.

25 May 2009     

Kita19
Portugal

Thank you all for your answers! I �ve a much more clearer idea now and learned a few things with your answers! Smile

I agree that the context is a very important thing to decide if the sentences should be in Present Perfect or Past Simple, so I can perfectly understand your point of view, manonski Smile

You have been very helpful! I knew I could count on you!

Hugs from Portugal,
Kita

25 May 2009