Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Moderators....    

Moderators....

Damielle
Argentina

Moderators....

Every time I get into the reported worksheets page I see that some moderators have to positions that vary according to what they see and think :

1) sometimes they closely stick to the rules and vote for the removal of the worksheet without any other consideration.

2) sometimes they vote according to the "possible usefulness" (not the one stated by the person who uploaded the ws) or because "they like the picture" in it or not, just to mention a few examples.

Don �t you think that it �s better to follow the rules and be more objective when when reporting or voting????!!!!!

30 May 2009      

eng789
Israel

I agree !!!!!!!!!!!!

30 May 2009     

susiebelle
United States

Good point.

No one can help what anyone decides to write in the comments of the moderators.  Thankfully, most of us ignore these subjective and rude  comments and vote with what is right and according to the rules of the site.  Those who leave the type of comments you are talking about never leave their names  and most of us just disregard them. 

30 May 2009     

LAMERCHE
Spain

I agree and also would like to add that some worksheets that have been reported  because they were copied from some text books almost exactly have not been removed because the "author" had a lot of good friends who said that the worksheet was original and useful.  

30 May 2009     

Damielle
Argentina

Dear susiebelle, haven �t you noticed comments such as.... "cute pics, don �t remove" "useful to do such and such activity, it should stay" ... sometimes with the signature next to the comment?

Sometimes, the voters are more creative and work harder than the person who just uploaded pics or a plain text on the ws!!!!!

There are lots of useful, attractive material on the Net and books, but the aim of this site is to create original activities with that material.

I have read one sensible comment about "a dressing up dolls printable" (I think that was written by Imletty) that says that we can google for such type of pics on the NET and we�ll find thousands, if not millions, of material like this. I absolutely agree with her and I know that many others do!!! Why not adding an activity, a plan or  a clear description about what to do with it??? It´ll show us that the person has done the least effort to contribute to the spirit of the site!!!

30 May 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Not all materials fit into the rules categories. We also have to be flexible.
If we �re too stiff we may over-police each other and that would be a shame.
I think each worksheet should be judged for it �s merit.

L

30 May 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

I think damielle is talking about those who consider a worksheet valuable without following the rules exactly as they are... and she even says they leave their names with the comment... so susiebelle may have got it wrong... damielle is not talking about those who are anonymous and leave rude comments... (I personaly haven �t seen this kind of comments... though)

I agree with libertybelle... definetely not all materials fit! So... what could we do? Moreover, one of the rules says worksheets must be ESL materials... who could define ESL materials nowadays accurately considering latest research in language learning? mmm...

I think we have to vote and do leave a comment to support our view and I hope other moderators don �t just ignore comments... since not reading them is not being more "objective" but having more information. In my case I do read them and then check by myself.

30 May 2009     

tricia973
Uruguay

sorry... last sentence: ... since reading them is not being more "subjective" but...
Anyway, I think my point is clear enough...

lol

30 May 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Dami, You are absolutely right. Nothing to add!!!!

Though I �m not functioning my position as a moderator, it �s quiet important to be objective not subjective when reporting any contribution. That �s the rule !!!

Hugs,
Nebal

30 May 2009     

susiebelle
United States

Dear Damielle,
Sorry but  I totally misread the post.  I was referring to rude remarks some leave -not the suggestions that you are referring to.  Some of the uploaded pics or flashcards have been the source of a lot of controversy because of everyone �s interpretation of the flashcard rule.  But I still think you have a good point.  Susiebelle

30 May 2009     

Abdelhadi
Morocco

The topic that you �ve raised is really interesting and I do agree with everything you said. In addition to that, I assure you that there will be always problems of that kind since:

1- Many rules on the website are not clear enough. That �s why some moderators may have more that one interpretation of one rule, which certainly causes disagreements.

2- There is no specific rules section on the website. This makes many moderators unaware of the existence of many rules, which certainly causes some misunderstanding.

3- There are no logical criteria for being a moderator on the website. Many people here don �t deserve to be moderators since they are not accurate at all. I know many here who can moderate perfectly, but for many others I �m sorry to say that they just don �t fit to have that function. I just couldn �t believe my eyes last week when I saw that some moderators voted against one of the common rules of this website just because the contributor is one of their friends. That �s a real catastrophe!

I totally agree with LAMERCHE when he/she said: "some worksheets that have been reported  because they were copied from some text books almost exactly have not been removed because the "author" had a lot of good friends who said that the worksheet was original and useful"

I �m sure that if we don �t deal strictly with the 3 points above, there will be always various misunderstandings at the level of wss � moderating. A moderator is like a judge. He/she should follow the rules which should be clear to everybody and forget about emotions when functioning.

Thank you

Abdelhadi

30 May 2009