Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Reading techniques    

Reading techniques

natucita
Argentina

Reading techniques

Hello teachers! I need suggestions about teaching reading,,, i want to motivate my students to read a text by giving them an interesting purpose for reading, which kind of purpose can i give them? It �s a text about places they can visit in Argentina. Thank you.

31 May 2009      

marta_marta
Poland

Hi Natalia!
Maybe you could first ask your students to work in pairs and make a list of the most interesting places in Argetina they know. Then, the purpose could be to check how many of the places in their lists are talked about in the text. You could even make a competition. 

Hugs,
Marta

31 May 2009     

HARIM
Morocco

Dear natucita,

Creating the need is the most important part of the teaching process.As for the reading text you have in hands,I suggest the following steps/

Set the scene: As a tourist guide,where would you take an English tourist visiting Argentina for the first time.What interesting things they �ll find there?

Pre-reading Question (skimming): How many interesting places are mentioned in the text? What is good about each?(I wish your text would answer these questions)
Comprehension questions (scanning): There should be a variety of questions
Follow up Exercise: Every pair is given enough time to prepare a role play (It can be a tourist and a tourist guide, two travel agents, two people from different places in Argentina bragging to one another about the wonders of their towns......)
I hope you like it 
Have a nice day

31 May 2009     

natucita
Argentina

Thank you very much! Your suggestions were really helpful

CheersThumbs Up

31 May 2009