Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > questions that are easy to correct    

questions that are easy to correct

sea camel
Belgium

questions that are easy to correct

What kind of questions would you use for your exam if you �d have to correct a lot of exams in even less time than before... I do want to test my pupils well. I know about multiple-choice questions, although I think they might sometimes be too easy... I have more than enough time to make my exams.

Thanks!

Kristien

4 Jun 2009      

Portugal

sea camel, depends too much on the ss � age. With ss. of the 5th, 6th form, the results can be misleading, due to cognitive development issues.
If they are older, and since you refer to a short correction time, I �d go for a multiple choice, which I use for grammar checking.
I guess my tests could give you some ideas.
Matching and completion ex. are easy to correct.
Best wishes.

4 Jun 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Thanks, nikadixon! My pupils or students are 16 years old (upper-intermediate level).  I �m really happy about the ideas to test grammar but what about vocabulary? Is there a way to test their vocabulary knowledge without making it too easy? I �m used to letting them write a sentence using the word I give them. That way they have to place it in a proper context. I sometimes make them match a word to its description but that �s too easy for them and the context is gone. Are there any other good questions, easy to correct, I could use on my test ? 

Kristien

4 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Could you do a multiple choice exam that you can correct collectively?
Sometimes my older students correct themselves and I ask them to highlight their good answers. I can get a pretty good idea visually.

4 Jun 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Hi Manonski

Thanks!

Well, they have to sit this exam together in a really big classroom. When finished they are free to leave and I �m left with their exams... No computers to use. Just plain paper.

Well, I think I could use multiple-choice questions but I �m afraid I don �t really get to the bottom of their vocabulary. Or am I wrong? Maybe it depends on how I ask my multiple-choice questions?

4 Jun 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Hi Sea Camel,
Multiple Choice, when designed properly, can be very effective.
Of course, there �s always good luck for those who do tic tac toe, but still, well-known exams like FCE use this technique.
If I were you I would use multiple choice tasks with 4 options, which broadens the odds of guessing. This type of exercise needs a lot of work when prepared, but I �m sure you �ll do just fine!
Good luck!
Cyn

4 Jun 2009     

Portugal

some ideas for vocabulary testing:

Vocabulary recognition: numbered items / pictures, The ss have to number the items /pics accordingly. 

Vocabulary writing:

Numbered  pics. to write the vocabulary: good for house, school, seasons, fruits, human body and almost everything.

Sentence completion such as: you have to catch a bus, you have to go to the___________

Also easy to correct: a group of communication with multiple choice, like these:

I �m so hungry!

a) Right!

b) You must eat now!

c) Sure!

or

Do you like sports programmes?

a) I prefer sitcoms

b) tennis

c) Like sailing

4 Jun 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

Well, Cyn and Nikadixon, you have helped me in being more inspired than I was before.

Cyn, thanks for your kind advice on the multiple-choice questions. I �ll certainly have a closer look at how to form them well. I �ve always doubted multiple-choice questions for my students. But maybe I shouldn �t do this. 

Nikadixon, thanks for your clear examples! You �ve been of great help to me this evening!

Many greetings!

Kristien

4 Jun 2009