Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Which is right?    

Which is right?

yingying
China

Which is right?

Please do me a favour.  Which of the following is grammatically correct?

A. Would you like something to drink?   OR
B. Would you like anything to drink?

Thanks in advance.

5 Jun 2009      

eng789
Israel

"A" sounds correct.

5 Jun 2009     

pepelie
United Kingdom

"A" is correct... it �s an "offer"

5 Jun 2009     

serene
Greece

I agree with eng789. "A" sounds correct because it �s actually an offer, not a question asking for information. I hope this helps. 
Hugs Smile

5 Jun 2009     

Katiana
Spain

Yes, A is the right one as it is an offer. In questions which are offers or requests we use "some", not any.

5 Jun 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

Yes A is better grammatically but I believe that both are quite common with native speakers.
Typical English it �s not scientific..1+1 does not always equal 2
Cheers Joy

5 Jun 2009     

dilekatameric
Turkey

grammatically A is correct because it is an offer

5 Jun 2009     

debbie6
Canada

hi, I am a native speaker and yes, both are very common - I have used both probably the same amount - depending on the situation - formal or informal

5 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

To a native speaker (to generalise) either expression would be fine.

Personally, I �d expect �something to drink � would usually indicate a limited or specific range of items. �anything to drink � would be less limited in the range of drinkable items offered/requested/available.

5 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

"A" may be more grammatically correct, but we native speakers definately use both.  Personally, like Debbie, I use both probably the same amount.

5 Jun 2009     

darryl_cameron
Hong Kong

These are bothcorrect and it �s all a point of usage. Although A is gramatically the better of the two, nuntheless they are both are common and have slightly different connotations.

A. stands alone and asks for a choice amongst the selections available.
B. leans toward a yes/no response where a follow up question should be posed as to which drink is preferred from the available selections.

IMHO

5 Jun 2009