Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Word lists    

Word lists

sea camel
Belgium

Word lists

Hello everybody!

At my school teachers have the pupils (15-18 years old) study the word lists at the end of a unit. I don �t feel comfortable with it. Those words have no context and often they cannot be found in a text either. On tests pupils are asked to fill these words in, in a sentence (in context). Do you think it �s a good idea to have them study word lists like this? Maybe I should change my mind...

Hugs

Kristien

5 Jun 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

I �m not a fan of those either... when I want them to remember certain words, I prefer to make memory word cards or word games like 4-in-a-row or match-up, because visual games are more helpful than lists... Though I believe it all depends on the group - their age, knowledge level and your own teaching style... I know some of my colleagues also do it, and their students are used to it... I guess we all have our ways...
Anita

5 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hey there Kristien,

A lot of teachers do that where I am too!

I think that it �s just crazy though. It �s so much better to review the words in a text, paragraph or short story or have the students use them in sentences of their own making, or in cloze exercises... anything but memorizing them out of context. That �s just not a good thing.

Anyways,

A great big hug,

Linda

5 Jun 2009     

hazi
Russian Federation

The only use of word lists I make - that is to revise the vocabulary of the unit before the dictation (I give them one at the end of every unit). But to make sts LEARN words from word lists for me would mean the lack of my qualification as a teacher. I �m against it. Even if we are short of time, I think there always is the space for vocabulary games - simple ones maybe - like chain games, etc. This is much better for memorizing.

BUT:

some of my adult students often ask me to make word lists for them. They take these papers with them on holiday, read the words, for example, on the plane or in the car. I don �t see any harm - as it �s not the only way a teacher uses to work with vocabulary.

And, as Anita �s said, sts got used to it, especially adults, because in Russia the communicative approach is comparatively young. It �s been used here... well, for about 13-15 years maybe - and most of people who are adult now were made to learn long word lists at school.

5 Jun 2009     

hazi
Russian Federation

The only use of word lists I make - that is to revise the vocabulary of the unit before the dictation (I give them one at the end of every unit). But to make sts LEARN words from word lists for me would mean the lack of my qualification as a teacher. I �m against it. Even if we are short of time, I think there always is the space for vocabulary games - simple ones maybe - like chain games, etc. This is much better for memorizing.

BUT:

some of my adult students often ask me to make word lists for them. They take these papers with them on holiday, read the words, for example, on the plane or in the car. I don �t see any harm - as it �s not the only way a teacher uses to work with vocabulary.

And, as Anita �s said, sts got used to it, especially adults, because in Russia the communicative approach is comparatively young. It �s been used here... well, for about 13-15 years maybe - and most of people who are adult now were made to learn long word lists at school.

5 Jun 2009     

hazi
Russian Federation

Oh, sorry, I didn �t mean to repeat that:))))))

5 Jun 2009     

bjones
Spain

Hi!!

I think it �s better to provide students with a context. I usually use word-dictations and they love it. Have a look at this worksheet I created on "relationship" words: http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=223045#thetop

Have a nice weekend.

5 Jun 2009     

sea camel
Belgium

I �m so happy to read your replies. I really am. I �ve been feeling bad about this for ages but coming from vocational classes where I used to have my own English Empire... I now teach the smarter/smartest pupils at school and I was told this was the way to make them study their vocabulary. I suppose it �s school tradition... It takes time to test all those words (in context but not studied in context) and it �s soooooo boring. I �m sure I could use that time more efficient and have a lot more fun teaching them. They �re so unnatural those word lists.

Well, I �m so happy to have come across this site and to have met you people. Here, things can be discussed (although sometimes...) and a teacher can grow and not become a dinosaur( Hihi, a  sea camel dinosaur LOL... )

I now know what to do during the summer holidays. I �ll radically change my system. And I �ll probably feel a lot better. I �ve been doubting to do this for years. I never dared to fight that system. But time has come...   

Hug

Have a wonderful weekend!

Kristien

5 Jun 2009     

colinbro
Korea, South

Hello Kristien.

There is a place for learning words independently of context. One reason is that the context can change. Does the word change then? Sometimes �yes �, many times �no �.

But the reasons not to learn words in lists include the fact that words are rarely encountered in lists (except in language classes).

A list is a good start for dealing with words because it can be used to collect the new words, and words which are less frequently used, so more difficult to learn from context. Then the trick is to change the list into something useful.

Try a two column list with a target word in one column and picture or translation or clue in the other column.
Print this sheet, glue the back and fold the sheet in half. (students might do this)
Cut the words out so that you have instant flash cards.

Now the student has the target words, but they are no longer fixed in a list.
The words can be reordered.
The student can carry the words and look at them with a small thinking gap between the front and back of the cards. (The thinking is vital to improve learning and is often lost in a list.)
The student can learn words from familiar (native language, picture, clue) to unfamiliar (new word), or unfamiliar to familiar.
The student can sort the words into opposites, or other categories.
The student can arrange the words into a thinking map (concept map, mind map).
A simple game is to have two students, one to show the word, the other to give the meaning, or translation etc. See how many words can be stated in a given time. Then swap. See who is the best "worder" in the class. They can be a "wonder worder".
Students can swap words until they can make a meaningful (maybe grammatically correct) sentence, or a sentence that describes their pet etc.

and much much more.

So don �t throw out the word lists, cut them up. Let the students own them, play with them, mix them.

Regards
Colin

15 Jun 2009