Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I need some help!    

I need some help!

MissMelissa12
Peru

I need some help!

Does anyone know where do kangaroos live?

For example:

The fox lives in a den
The kangaroos live in a ?

I �d appreciate it if I can get your answers asap.

Miss Melissa.

8 Jun 2009      

cheezels
New Zealand

In the bush? ie : the Australian bush.
They are all over Australia.. so not just in the outback...

Where do Kangaroos Live
Kangaroos live in varying and diverse climates across Australia and Papua New Guinea. Kangaroos can live in arid or cold conditions, in rainforests or deserts. They live on rocky mountains, in desert plains or in the rainforest. They are nocturnal animals, generally resting in shady areas during the day and eating at night. Some species of kangaroos are active in early morning and late afternoon. In Australia they live in all states and territories, including Tasmania.

Also: from wiki answer
Kangaroos are native to Australia alone - no other continent or island. Tree kangaroos can be found in New Guinea, but that is the only variety found anywhere else apart from Australia. The Eastern Grey Kangaroo occurs down the eastern side of Australia in the states of Queensland, New South Wales, Victoria, and part of South Australia. The Western Grey Kangaroo occurs in the southern part of Western Australia, and most of South Australia. The large Red Kangaroo is found throughout the interior of the continent (but not desert) and on part of the Western Australian coast.

Grey kangaroos are common along southern coastal Australia and, contrary to what some people believe, seem to enjoy swimming, often commuting between the mainland and offshore islands. The habitat of the tree kangaroo is rainforest and dense forest in northern Australia and the islands of New Guinea.

Kangaroos´ habitats include grasslands, mulga scrub, bushland (not too dense) and open plains - wherever there is food, and shade trees. Red kangaroos prefer this type of habitat. They will generally not frequent rocky slopes and hillsides, this being more territory for wallabies and wallaroos. However, they will shelter under cliffs and in caves in bad weather.

Members of the kangaroo family can be very small, and these smaller members dig burrows in desert and semi-arid areas, living on insects, larvae, fungi and plant roots.

Possums and wallabies have been introduced to New Zealand, and any sightings there have been of kangaroos remain unconfirmed. Some zoos in other countries have licences to have kangaroos in captivity.

8 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

According to Cheezel �s answer, I would say they live in "burrows" ??? (or is that just the small ones?)

Smile

8 Jun 2009     

Zora
Canada

I think it would be safe to say that kangaroos live in Australia... cause by the sounds of it they live in the bush, beach, burrow and borough!! lol

8 Jun 2009     

alien boy
Japan

Douglas - that �s just some of the small ones!

Melissa, we �d normally say they live in �the bush � - or possibly �the outback �. While neither answer is perfect for all kangaroos they both encapsulate commonly recognised kangaroo habitats in addition to being suited to most people �s understanding of what a kangaroo is. When people say kangaroo they usually envisage the grey or red kangaroos rather than their smaller, cuter cousins.

Cheers,
AB

8 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Most Aussies would equate a kangaroo as being large and living in the bush.  But they also do live in the suburbs which are on the fringes of the bush and national parks.  My brother has a mob of kangaroos that visit his property, and neigbouring properties, daily scrounging for delicious goodies including grass, recently planted seedlings and anything that flowers!  Some of them are huge boomers (male kangaroos) and magnificent in stature when they stand on the back legs.

When travelling to work I occassionally pass a dead kangaroo that has fatally ventured too far into suburbia and been killed on the road.

I have seen them on the beach and in the snow, but no, they generally don �t live in burrows (maybe the smaller species in the bush and desert that we don�t usually see).  They are often seen just lazing around in mobs under the shade of the gorgeous gum trees.

9 Jun 2009     

MissMelissa12
Peru

Thank you all of you very much for your answers!!

9 Jun 2009