Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > What is the correct word to...    

What is the correct word to...

Animagus
Portugal

What is the correct word to...

Good evening dear ESL teachers!
I �m translating a description text to english for a olive oil label and I need to know a specific vocabulary.
When we are talking about a sort of olives or grapes for wine, what is the right word to use in this case?
By the way, can I say the mill is the place where I can produce olive oil?

I hope you can help me, because I �m not familiar with this technical words.
Confused

8 Jun 2009      

Zora
Canada

I �d say "type" or "variety" of olive or grape.

And I think that mills is correct, though I am not 100%. You should Google it to check.

9 Jun 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Animagus,

I think we use the word "variety" to talk about a particular type of olives or grapes. Yes, an "oil-mill" is correct.

9 Jun 2009     

Animagus
Portugal

Thank you so much for your tips, dear friends.

Thumbs Up

9 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Hi Animagus

Grapes are grown in vineyards and processed in a winery.  Not all vineyards have wineries and vice versa.

Olives are grown in an olive grove and processed in an olive mill.

Both have varieties of grapes and olives.

Cheers

Jayho

9 Jun 2009     

Animagus
Portugal

Hey, thank you once again.

I �ve translated the text to english and now I want to know your opinion about it.
If it is not understandable or something is missing, you just tell me.
This is really serious work and it �s going to be stamped in a series of olive oil bottles.
I don �t want to fail.
Cry

The high quality olives are collected from the region of AAA, produced and bottled in BBB oil-mill. To extract the oil, the olives are put through a mechanical process which meets and exceeds all the environmental standards. After the extraction they are stored in a cool temperature, protecting them from environmental changes. This measure will retain the perfect taste.

9 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

I would say "collected from the AAA region" versus "collected from the region of..."

and stored "at" a cool temperature

and: "helps retain..."  or "ensures the ..."

9 Jun 2009     

johanne23232
Israel

I live in a wine and olive-oil producing region, and here we would say that the olives are �picked �, not �collected �.   For the rest I agree with Douglas � suggestions.

9 Jun 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

I thinks it �s " variety" of olive oil.
Yes, we say olives are processed in the " oil mill" or " mill".

9 Jun 2009     

mariamit
Greece

I live in Kalamata where olives are always picked  so Johanne is right. Olives are not collected. They definitely are picked. They are processed at a mill and stored at a cool temperastue to ensure their quality. I hope that helps. 

9 Jun 2009