Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Activities with newspapers    

Activities with newspapers

teacher jessie
Argentina

Activities with newspapers

Hi, I �ve been part of the site for some months and this is the first time I post a topic. I need ideas of activities to work with nespapers and magazines in English language, my students are adults and adolescents with an upper intermediate level of English. Hope you �re as helpful as usual.
Thanks in advance

10 Jun 2009      

bebz
Brazil

Hello Jessie,

One ideais to work with thevocabulary their are learning. Then you can ask them to make words up outof the letters they cutfrom a magazine or a newspaper.
Another idea is to ask them to cut images and make sentences.
Hope it all worksout and you find the ideas useful.
Smile

10 Jun 2009     

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

If they can read a short article, then they can answer the 5 W �s: Who. What, When, Where, and Why. Also, they could underline all the nouns or whatever part of speech you have focused on.
I hope the helps.

Carla

10 Jun 2009     

Amanda W
Austria

Hi Jessie,

1) You could cut out the headlines, pictures, captions and first paragraphs of three articles (lamination would be good so you can use them again), put them in an envelope and mix them up. In groups or with a partner,  they have to re-organise them (encourage conversation) and then each group has to choose one of their articles to read and present to the class.

2) Weather maps and their descriptions can be separated in the same way to be matched up in groups/pairs.

3) Collect lots of pictures of recent eventsand stick 4/5 on a page. Ask them to express in the present perfect what has happened. e.g. "There has been an earthquake"

4) Collect pictures and stick 4/5 on a page of people in a particular situation. Give students a list of possible thoughts/phrases that the person might be thinking OR might say next (which you have made up):  e.g. "I wish he would hurry up" "Oh! No, not again" etc.... The students then have to match each picture to a possible phrase.

Have a nice day,
                                                                   Mandy

10 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

All the above ideas are great.  There are also great ideas on the web.  Just google �esl newspaper activity � to start your searching...

Good luck!

10 Jun 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

I love Amanda W �s ideas - I normally separate the headlines / pictures, then ask students to guess what they think the story is about.

T :)

10 Jun 2009     

teacher jessie
Argentina

Thank you all. You �ve helped me a lot.
Amanda, your ideas are great since they aim at communication.
I will try them with my students, and then I have to present the activity to other collegues and the director of the institute, because once a month we meet and share different activities as self development. I �ll let you know how it works.
Thanks again.

10 Jun 2009