Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Written Assignment...    

Written Assignment...

Miss_Alel�
Argentina

Written Assignment...

Hi there girls... I wonder if you could kindly take a look at this essay I �ve just written... it �s too late here and it �s to be handed in first time in the morning. I �d deeply apreciate any comment or correction. Thanks in advance!!

�Teaching teenagers is not an easy job�.

Picture yourself in a noisy tiny classroom, surrounded by at least twenty-five youngsters most of them full of energy. They look upon you argumentatively, kindly, challengingly, loving and repentant at the same time. Now, imagine you are to deliver a lesson too and they are to learn, of course. Would you say that teaching teenagers isn�t an enterprise? During my years as a teacher-to-be, , I have been told that adolescence is the most difficult period in the lifetime of a human being, a period of great changes with regards physical and psychological development. Therefore, though I do not claim to be an expert, there is every reason to believe that teaching teenagers is not an easy job.

To start with, among the many aspects that made me adhere to this idea, there is the question of teenage culture and their interests. I can imagine that not every teacher is, or should be, up to date to the latest fashion, the ultimate slang or the brand new Hollywood star, which have nothing to do with school matters but have everything to do with teenage interests. Dedicated instructors make extraordinary efforts to adapt their teaching materials so that they become both useful from the point of view of the subject, and at the same time interesting to the youth. Unfortunately, this usually turns out to be a titanic enterprise.

Another very important aspect to take into consideration is teenage attitude towards schooling. As far as I am concerned, attitude is related to what students� bring into classroom; it is the result of their own experiences, their personality, their likes and dislikes, which is close connected to adolescent identity crisis. There are times when students� attitude towards the subject and even to the teacher is definitely negative, that might be the result of bad experiences they had had in the past. Trying to change their views upon a subject can be time-consuming and extremely difficult; however, many teachers make great efforts to do so.

On the other hand, there are those who consider it isn�t difficult to teach teenagers. They may claim that classroom discipline is the key point. �Always start by being firm, you can relax later� is often heard. Yet, there are those, non teachers mainly, who think that teaching teenagers is definitely an easy task. Therefore, they may believe that Teaching is as simple as an arithmetic calculation where �Teachers are to teach� and �students are to learn�. According to them, there seems to be nothing in between; no feelings, no attitude nor any other sentimentalism.

All in all, in spite of these drawbacks, which can be considered bare opinions of non sensitive teachers, I am inclined to believe that though exhausting, it can prove to be an amazing and rewarding experience which requires us to look upon adolescents in their whole, with their culture and their attitudes. I deeply believe that teaching teenagers is not an easy job; after all, being one is definitely difficult.

11 Jun 2009      

Carla Horne
United States

Hi,

I just read your due date for this. I �m really tired, so I may not catch all the small errors. First, don �t put your own title in quotation marks. Simply capitalize all the important words, and don�t put a period in the title.

In the second line, write "lovingly" and  "repentantly."

I would say, "During my coursework and experiences" instead of teacher-to-be.

3rd paragraph: change schooling to education. 4rh paragraph: change "consider" to "proclaim" or some other synonymn.

All periods go inside quotation marks. Do spellcheck.

Try to make that conclusion a little longer, at least 4 sentences. Your last sentence is really good!

I hope that you don �t think that I am too negative. GOOD LUCK!!

CarlaGlitter Apple

11 Jun 2009     

Miss_Alel�
Argentina

Thanks Carla!!! I really apreciate your help!! I adore your corrections and they improved my essay a great deal!! I am learning... I am learning!!!
Thankssss!good night!!

11 Jun 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

Different preposition

(par 2, line 3) ... to be up to date WITH the latest fashion...

11 Jun 2009