Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > English Games    

English Games

fletsch
Canada

English Games

Hey everyone:

I am looking to find an interesting game that I can use with my English Majors.  It is the end of the term and wanted to have fun our last class.  I have 35 students in each class.  I want to play a fun game that keeps everyone talking English, but a game that is not childish, as these students are 19-21.  Anyone have any good ideas?  Let me know if you have a worksheet or lesson plan that I could download.  Any ideas are welcomed.  Hope everyone is having a good Sunday Wink

Cheers,

Fletsch

14 Jun 2009      

joy2bill
Australia

Speed dating always works with this age and it means everyone is speaking at once. Noisy but a lot of fun. I usually give each student a photo from a magazine which they must create a personna for. They then sit in pairs and have 4-5 minutes to "get to know each other" before they change to the next person. I sometimes show the speed dating episode from Hitch to give them the idea. At the end we see who would date whom. Very lively but always goes down well.
Cheers Joy

14 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Alibi is great, I agree... There �s also SPIN THE BOTTLE or TRUTH OR DARE (I prefer calling it that way).... You prepare 2 sets of cards - DARE(challenges) and TRUTH(questions)-(the challenges can be something funny or difficult you �ll have sb do - like sing a song in front of the whole class, invite 2 partners to dance a dance in front of the class, imitate a classmate in English or a famous person, etc., and the questions have to be answered honestly and they can be sth like this: when was the last time you were embarassed and what happened, who do you look up to and why, what �s the dummest pick up line you �ve ever heard, etc. - you know your sts, so you �ll know the challenges and questions you can prepare). Then you sit them all down in a circle (you can even play it outside on a blanket) and place a plastic bottle of cool juice in the middle(don �t recommend Cola or sth with bubbles - might explode). Spin the bottle, when the bottle stops, the person the cork is pointing to gets to choose a DARE or a TRUTH card (have the cards in two separate boxes/baskets/dark bags somewhere close by) - they have to say it aloud: TRITH or DARE,  then they pull out a card from the chosen pile, read it aloud (you check) and do the task. Then this person sits down and spins the bottle. (have them applaud, comment, laugh, help) play till everyone has taken a turn. It helps if it �s hot, because the sight of the cool bottle will motivate them. In the end have them vote publicly on who gave the most honest and most interesting performance/answers. This person gets to open the bottle and drink it right then and there. (but don �t tell them this upfront - it doesn �t help) It �s a blast - I had so much fun with my class, next time they prepared the cards and the prize and spoke even more just so they could get the prize... EnjoyWink(PS sorry for some spelling errors, I �m hungry and off to lunch)
Anita

PPS:Let me know how it went if you use it...

14 Jun 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

I like �paper bag dramatics � or "theater from a bag" (the paper bags weren �t big enough)
Divide the students into groups of 4-6. Each group gets a bag which contains fairly random objects you have around the house.  (One of my bags contains for example; a police hat, a heart shaped box, a camera, a meter and a roll of toilet paper). They need to put together a play in which they use all of the objects in their bag and involve every member in the group (also the shy ones who might not speak so easily..).After some preparation time, each group acts out their play in front of their classmates.
I �ll be doing it tomorrow and intend to video them and give the videos as end of the year gifts....(provided they are serious enough about it...)

14 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Hey, i loved all the ideas in the thread, especially the last one since i �m a big drama-in-class fan. (It does not mean the former two are of less value, it �s just that the latter one agrees with me more ... ok?? Wink) Also, the third one might work best since you have a fairly big class. Taking a video of it makes it even more fun. Ahhhh, and with all the props ... Sorry, my mind is racing here.
P.S. You might want to check an idea from this thread:
http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=6148
though ... your ss are late teens and probably fairly fluent in english... well, you can adapt it ... and maybe even complement marion´s idea with that one, re HOW they should act. It should add to the fun element.

14 Jun 2009     

fletsch
Canada

Thanks so much for all the great ideas!

Now I have the task of deciding which one to do for the last class and which ones to save for next term.  They are all great and very interesting.  Now I have a new dilemma on my hands, LOL

Thanks again for your suggestions,

Fletsch

14 Jun 2009