Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Teaching Reading    

Teaching Reading

LaurenD
Korea, South

Teaching Reading

Hello,

I �m working at a small public elementary school in a rural area of South Korea. I love it here, but the language level of the average student is rather low.

I have a summer camp coming up (divided by grade - maybe 3 and 4 together and then 5 and 6 together) and would like to focus on learning to read (for the younger students) and improving reading skills for the older students. I know students here in Korea typically don �t learn to "read" until middle school, but I just feel that their language abilities would benefit so much from learning the basics now!

So does anyone have any advice, teaching tips/techniques, strategies etc. for teaching reading, both at the most basic level and above to elementary school students?

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer!

Lauren

16 Jun 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Hi. I spent 5 years in  the ROK so I know your dilemma. Even at the older lever the kids have trouble with the short vowels and diphthongs.  I would start there.  Make sure they can read each long/short vowel properly.  Make sure they don �t say things like �oranji � for orange.  With the little kids you need mostly CVC words and use words they know already like cat, dog, hat. bed etc.  You can PM me if you need anymore help.
GL ahnnyeonghi gyesaeyo

16 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

Work on phonic lessons and try to move beyond the a typical Rote learning.  You can pull in riddles, games and jokes to make it look more like game time than actual lessons and I do recommend that.  If your student �s are like mine they will be spending much of the break at different camps and academies.  I even try to be a bit sneaky about it opening with the typical Korean class with some rote learning on new words then it is break out time with phonic games plus.  Here in Korea we have to think two ways.  These students will be in class all day then academies most of the night even during summer and winter breaks with maybe a week off.  Like right now came home from a study group and there were middle school students just leaving the academy after midnight to go home and they would be up at 5 am because it is exam time.

Yes Spagman and interesting I did testing on some individuals who are suppose to be tutoring the students in English and love Beee Che for beach.

16 Jun 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

CVC words are fun.

Use sound dots and the children have to clap out the sounds to count them... then put the sounds in.  If you use the claps for how many then you can continue this process with longer words later on.

C    A     T
.      .      .

Then the kids have to change one letter to make a new sound.

I highly recommend a Dr Seuss unit with kids this age as everything rhymes and they are encouraged to make up nonsense sounds to get the rhyme

16 Jun 2009     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I highly recommend reading groups with short text books.  HAve a learning intention and follow up activity.  If you are interested I can upload a whole program around one book.

Just reply or pm me and I will make it and upload asap

16 Jun 2009     

jobrand
Korea, South

I work in Seoul, and my Principal actually wants me and the other English teachers to use Konglish.  I know it sounds wrong, but if you get the kids speaking and you can under stand what they are saying you are doing a great job.  We have no problem with the "oranji" pronounciations, and we are in the Gangnam District. 
As for the reading part, try comics.  You can get some great comics with Korean translations for the younger kids.  Some of them are one page Korean and the other English (same info), some are all in English with translations in the footnotes, and some have all English with simple descriptions of the hard words.  I think you may want to do the first option.  Hey, I �m using it to learn Korean.  And if you can find a story line that the kids can enjoy it will make the learning fun.  Try the simpler Dr Seuss, or a comic book.  The kids will love it.  I know the kids read alot in the hogwans, but if you find stories they can be interested in they will love it.  I have seen the things the Hogwans have the kids reading, they are terrible.  And if you have any higher level kids that like to play, do a play.  There are alot of free plays on line, made just for little kids. 

16 Jun 2009