Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > clothes    

clothes

life_line
Ukraine

clothes

Hello, my dear friends!

hope you �re having a terrific day!I �ve got a question that I �d like to ask you. How do we call things like tops, shirts, polos, tunics, jumpers, cardigans etc. in general? Is it correct to write "Different types of tops"? or is there any other term that should be used? Please, help me out, thanks beforehand!

lots of hugs,

Olia

22 Jun 2009      

Carla Horne
United States

Hi Olia,

For females we usually say "blouse," and for a male we say "shirt." All the words you mention are correct. It �s just when we are trying to really point out the different genders that we use those two words. I hope this helps.

Carla

22 Jun 2009     

douglas
United States

Carla has it pretty much right.  I often hear women use "tops" also; but blouses and shirts are the most common I �d say.

22 Jun 2009     

Jayho
Australia

From an Australian colloquial language point of view females or mothers with young children use tops for blouses, t-shirts, skivvies, shirts, crop tops and boob tubes.  " I �ll just go and change my top", "You better go and put on your new top".  Guys never say this, well, maybe to their girlfriend but not in front of another male.

Overgarments, as ladybird refers to them, such as jumpers (we don �t say sweaters or pullover), cardigans and  jackets are called exactly that.  They are not tops - they go over tops.

I �m not sure what a tunic is.  I only associate that with school sports attire form my school days and I �m not sure whether that word is used widely here anymore.

Wikipedia has some entries on this topic which generally confirm what we do in Oz.

23 Jun 2009