Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > made of / from    

made of / from

REQUIEMFORADREAM
Portugal

made of / from

hey guyyss , what is the main difference between made of and made from...thanks

23 Jun 2009      

douglas
United States

As I see it, they are basically interchangeable. 

When you say "made from" it tends to refer to an item or stuff that you started out with (orange juice is made from oranges--you started out with oranges).  "Made of" tends to mean more the core (raw) material of the item (windows are made of glass).  But generally, I would say the terms are interchangeable. 

23 Jun 2009     

dareka1
Japan

As mentioned above. But I generally would stick with the advice below (if it was clearly different, I would say from, not of).

If something keeps its form, we use �made of � � But if the form is changed during the process of making, then we use �made from �.

http://tinyurl.com/lbf9p9

23 Jun 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Douglas, great explanation! Thumbs Up(btw, I wouldn �t interchange them, they �re perfect just the way you explained them...)
Anita

23 Jun 2009     

class centre
Belarus

I explain it to my sts the following way - if you can cut out a piece of the very material the thing is made of -use  made of. If you can not take the material out of the thing because it is totally changed - then it is made from( you can not take milk out of the cheese etc.). My children give me more and more examples on it. 

23 Jun 2009