Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Need help for my training college practices!     

Need help for my training college practices!

Princess.Fiona
Argentina

But where you live students, I �m sure, are exposed to english a lot more than ours. I just don �t think you can apply your theory that strongly to our REALITY here. It �s just not the same at all.

24 Jun 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

I don �t know how much English my students are exposed to outside the school but they do have access to English channels on tv and they listen to pop music on the radio.
You know what? We can �t have an accurate comparisons of our situations. I �ve never been to your country and my guess is the same for you.
Let �s just agree to disagree. No hard feelings.

Have a good night!Smile

24 Jun 2009     

cynab
Spain

I read your views and I understand both of you. I �m finishing my studies and I think just like manon. In the billingual and in the private school where I work I can workk in that way. But now that I �m going to a state-run school for my practices I �m living a complete different situation. And well, I �ll always try to give my best but wonder, you are not the first to tell me this and I �m kind of dissapointed since I �d like things to be different. Of course, I know I cannot change the terrible situation many people are living in our country, but well, I �ll give my best to at least transmit something to students!!

Thanks both for caring!!

Best wishes! 

24 Jun 2009     

roneydirt
United States

If schools were as lovely as manonski want to put them I would love to be at that school.  But just like wonderland said not all schools will go with only English even in the best conditions and as for manonski been to Quebec with the Native Teacher in the school next to mine, took some students there to visit last winter break from the upper class schools.  It was like going to a classy neighborhood where there is actually more English spoke even in the mostly French spoken portions of town.  Then there is reality where many of us are teaching English in schools where basically student �s are more worried about getting out to work to put food on the table knowing in a few years they will be forced into the military and after that some sweatshop, warehouse or family business selling everything from vegetables on street carts to higher end stuff.  Where the school labels almost all students as intermediate English level even when they can barely recognize the letter A, but they also know they don �t have to do anything and still will pass.  How can a student fail if just by showing up for the exam they have 70%?  I find it punishment for students that are actually trying.  Where the Native English Teacher is there actually more for entertainment/political reasons than actually teaching English Why I get in trouble because my lessons are "too academic and should have more games like hangman."  (That was written in my review last several observations.)

I do try to have an 80% English in my classes.  I also try to show them through some of their heroes like famous singers, actors, actresses and athletes speaking English.  That if they want to strive for more that they may have to actually do something on their own about it including learning some Basic English.  I know full well that I won �t reach all the students and can �t force them to learn something they don �t really want to learn, but hope I can plant seeds of knowledge to be used to build on later when they do decide they want to learn.  For those that want to learn or even out of respect toward their parents try to learn take what they know and expand it.

cynab you will have to wait to see your students to make a full idea of their actual levels, so when you create your lessons look toward both the worst and best situation; then make the lesson for the median with the knowledge you may have to lower the level or raise the level for the students in your class.  Go in planting seeds of knowledge, they may not use it that day or they may use it right away.

24 Jun 2009     

< Previous   1    2