Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Test correction    

Test correction

sofiaduborjal
Portugal

Test correction

Hi, dear colleagues! It �s been wonderful to read all your posts and witness the variety of teaching techniques. I feel really blessed to be part of this community and learn with all of you :))
If you don �t mind, I �d like your wise advice on something that really troubles me: when I hand out a test to my students - after I �ve corrected it -, I usually put out the correction on a powerpoint and they copy it into their notebooks. But I don �t want my students to be so passive, and so I �m looking for other ways of making them more active in the correction. Have you got any ideas?Embarrassed

26 Jun 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

Perhaps you might try giving them the ppt as discussion, not to copy, and then later on give them a new version of a similar test(a mock-test) which is done/solved(you solve it yourself, but change the handwriting), but has some mistakes in it. Give them that, individually or even in pairs, to correct - they love playing the teacher, and they remember the mistakes better if they see them made and then correct them. I actually used this as practice for a test, sort of prevention, rather than review, and it works out great, especially if the copy you give them has all those mistakes they typically do. And if you let them do the corrections in coloured pens, they feel important, their self-confidence rises, and they �re ashamed to make those mistakes again....
Maybe this helps...
Anita

26 Jun 2009     

libertybelle
United States

When my students write an essay - I write these abbreviations above their mistakes:
Sp= spelling mistake
Gr= grammar mistake
syn=syntax mistake (words in wrong order)

They take their essays home and try to correct as much as possible themselves.
You could probably do this with a test too.
Make them aware they have a mistake and point out what type of mistake it is.
They learn a lot from their own mistakes.
L

26 Jun 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

ANITA says: "sort of prevention, rather than review"
LISA says: "They learn a lot from their own mistakes."
I SAY: Yep! Thumbs Up

26 Jun 2009     

dellcomputer
United States

You should give them the test again, not knowing that it is the same and say that they can use their notes, this will make them want to write better notes so that the tests will be easier.

27 Jun 2009