Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > I need a byte...or two.    

I need a byte...or two.

redrover
United Kingdom

I need a byte...or two.

This really is a good site, I can �t believe how many useful things I can find, actually things I �ve thought of creating but didn �t have the time or the right creative slant, but here I can find so much, even new ideas for my classes. Really great, and the idea of us all sharing our stuff together as a community is fantastic too!

BUT..... and I know you knew a �but � was coming, and I know this is probably an old topic....BUT..... I really really wish I could upload more than 500kb of a powerpoint. I �m sure there is a good reason why the author of the site chose this amount, a good and logical reason.....BUT..... most esl powerpoints by their nature and use are picture heavy, and I know I can strip the pics down but honestly with the amount of images animations and so on, it would take me an �age �. I �m also aware that  I can split up my ppt in 2 parts, but frankly I tried and it would have been more like 4-5 parts!:/

The 1,000kb - 1,500kb would be great! I don �t mean to blow my own trumpet(well just a little maybe)but I �ve got some �kick ass � powerpoints at that kb range, really nice....and I do mean really nice;) I have so little at the 500kb range, what little I have that I consider slightly worthy of giving other teachers I �ve uploaded....and that �s a grand total of ONE I might add. Please give us 1,000 - 1,500 kb on the powerpoints, oh please, go on, please, you know you want to!

4 Jul 2009      

bigbang
Portugal

Hi redrover,
I undersatnd your wish, I see the point of your arguments and share your views but I guess we all face the same problem. I  would like to upload some powerpoints of mine and share them with other teachers (to assess whether they are useful and adequete or not) but they are "too heavy". I �ve been through the same processes you describe and with the same disapointing outcome.
However, I wonder if it would be a good idea to extend the limits and put the site "in danger". Victor has already moved to this new site for lack of space in the previous one and I �ve missed the companionship during the transition period.
Besides, we all know that many teachers would like to upload more beautiful powerpoints (the most "popular" ws tend to be the colourful, full of pictures ones) and this welcoming place would be flooded with bigger and bigger docs.
 I guess I �d rather have restrictions than no site at all.
But this is just an opinion and Victor is surely aware of what he can change. I wish this change was possible but I guess "we can �t have it all" for free, as we do now. 

4 Jul 2009     

redrover
United Kingdom

Ya, I hear ya.... It �s true that with a higher size file it doesn �t always mean that all the powerpoints that get uploaded will be good ones, and perhaps it just might possibly waste more space in many cases. Like you say, "we can �t have it all"....... so........

......... what about 750kb then, oh go on, you know you want to!(Can �t blame a guy for trying)Clap

4 Jul 2009