Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Help in Conversation Classes    

Help in Conversation Classes

camilastohrer
Brazil

Help in Conversation Classes

Hello guys!

I �ve been teaching a 30-people group for two months. They are there to learn English in order to work with tourists who come to their city on cruisers.

Last Tuesday it was our first outdoor activity. They were divided into groups of five and each group had 30 minutes do guide me (as a tourist) around town. They were all really excited about this experience and they did really well! - but this was something totally different from what I had been doing in class.

Of course the number of students really makes it hard to have conversation classes (to imagine the only way I figured was to split them in order to give more personal attention!), but due to their interest and excitment I �d like to keep the conversation going in the classroom.

Do you know any conversation activites and/or games that I can use with this low intermediate really large group?

Thanks a lot!

Camila

9 Jul 2009      

redrover
United Kingdom

Ya, I �ve had that problem with classes that large, 14 is the perfect number really, 20 is still managable but 30 does get really difficult. The personal attention is the problem...what I would suggest is groups of 5 and then set them a group task depending on what subject your teaching, then as they take ten minutes or so to fulfil or talk about the subject you have given them, you go round to each group and find out what they �ve got to say. There �s really not too many other ways, you may have one or two exercises they can do, but there �s no way to get that personal attention in all of the time. To be frank you did exactly the right thing in dividing them.

It �s a tough one. Good luck.... and if you find the magic solution to that one, please please let me knowWink

9 Jul 2009     

camilastohrer
Brazil

Yep, guess I �ll have to continue this way.

Thanks for your post. You see, even if it �s to confirm what we already know, it �s important to read other teacher �s opinion. Then I don �t feel like I �m the only one Smile

Anyway.. if I do come up with a solution, I �ll certainly share it with you guys!!

Hugs from Brazil. (quite a rainy day on the South)

Camila

9 Jul 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

If you don �t mind the extra work, how about asking them to record a conversation?  You can listen to it and mark down any errors, or swap cassettes between groups and they can try error-correction themselves.

Good luck :)

9 Jul 2009