Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Hi all colleagues I ´m lookin for a get to know game    

Hi all colleagues I ´m lookin for a get to know game

samsunmustafa
Turkey

Hi all colleagues I ´m lookin for a get to know game

Hello to all teachers of this great community.I ´m preparing my documents for the next term which starts in September.And I compile all the worksheets and videos or games according to the units.But there are some gaps in my document of course.One of them is the first lesson.I need a great game or entertaining activity that will help me get to know the students well (I don ´t know the students now) and make them use small talks.Thus I wanna make them start the new term enjoying the language lessons.Have a great week.Thanks in advance.

9 Jul 2009      

libertybelle
United States

Write ice-breakers in the search column above.
There are lots of ideas there for getting to know your new students.
L

9 Jul 2009     

aftab57
United Kingdom

You might find some interesting stuff here.

More ice breakers

http://www.consultpivotal.com/Energizers,%20Icebreakers.htm

This site is full of wonderful materials and large number of ice breakers, so enjoy.

http://www.eslflow.com/ICEBREAKERSreal.html

9 Jul 2009     

mjpa
Spain

Take a look at this:

And if you are interested in more games, I cand send you several which other members of this page have sent to me.

9 Jul 2009     

mjpa
Spain

I find these two games especially attractive and they are suitable for any kind of students.

Paper Roll

Quick and easy game to set up, similar theme to "2 truths and a Lie"

Don ´t tell anybody what is going to happen, but get a roll of toilet paper and tell all those playing not to take to much but to take however much they want. One all the players have taken the number of sheets they want each has to tell one thing about themselves for every sheet they have.

M&M Game

Pass around a bag of M&M ´s and have each person take as many as they want. For each colour of the M&M ´s have a question that they have to answer. For instance, red can be, "Describe your first crush."
You can play this with other coloured candies, I did it with little paper balls in different colours.

9 Jul 2009     

samsunmustafa
Turkey

Thanks a lot to all techers, you ´re great.By the way Mjpa I ´m always intersted in games as I ´m a new teacher here.You can send me if you want.This is my email address : [email protected]

I have liked the 2 truths and a lie game a lot.It ´s wonderful, thanks again Mjpa.

10 Jul 2009     

Mar0919
Mexico

Hi!!! I want to share with you what I did this  year. I started working with my group in March, well into the school year, and like you, I didn ´t know them,  or anything about them!!! but since I wanted to learn as much as I could about them, I "invented" a roll call activity, that according to them, I was the only teacher who ´d ever done that!! at first, it might have been a drag for them, but later I overheard a comment they made, while they were talking among themselves trying to guess what I was going to ask that day! The activity is very simple, instead of just calling out their name, and  have them say "present" or "here"... I would post a question on the board. I ´d then call out the names of each ss and instead of answering in the typical way, they ´d have to answer the "question of the day". The questions were very simple, but this helped me a lot, because at the same time I got to know them better, it served as practice for whatever grammar structure was used in the question, vocabulary, etc. The rule was that they ´d have to answer in complete sentences.

Some ideas for the questions can be:
-what is your favorite color
-when was the last time you made someone happy
-think of something that can fit in a match box
-say something that you would NEVER put in your pocket
-what are your mom and dad ´s hobbies?
-what can you do on a rainy day
-what can you do without speaking
-what can you do without moving
-what places have you visited
-think of something that is "round" (you can change whatever shape)

etc, etc. as you can see, there is a lot of grammar and vocab practice in these "simple" questions, and they help you get to know your students, and at the same time have fun, since they ´ll be looking forware to "tomorrow ´s question"...you have to do this very quick, don ´t let ss take too much time answering. what I do is, if they don ´t answer quick enough, since this is for roll call, they ´ll be marked "absent"... of course this won ´t happen, since once they know the rules, they answer immediately.

hope you like this idea...

hugs!

- Mar

17 Jul 2009