Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > Games    

Games

Maria Isabel
Peru

Games

Does anybody know a useful game to help students memorize past participles of irregular verbs, apart form bingo?
Thanks
Maria Isabel

24 Oct 2008      

Olindalima ( F )
Portugal

Hello, Maria Isabel,
Check this
http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=96972#thetop
It is not a game, but I arranged the list of verbs according to some similarities, I think  it is easier for the students to memorize; I usually have a kind of championship along two or three weeks, with one or two sets at a time.

24 Oct 2008     

Giselle del Val
Argentina

Hi!
      You can play MEMOTEST and MEMORY CHAIN. For both you just need to make a set of cards with the verbs.
MEMORY CHAIN consists of giving a card to each student. The aim is to make a story together. One student stars the story with a sentence using the verb in his/her card. The second student goes on with the sorty REPEATING the previous sentence and ADDING a new one. In this way the rest of the students has to repeat the sentences.
It�s a kind of DRILLING activity but in a more communicative context (the story).

Tell me if it works!
                                            Giselle

24 Oct 2008     

Missgeorgie
Argentina

This is not a game but a little rule that might be useful for at least some of the verbs...and it�s the PIM-PAM-PUM rule...some verbs follow this pattern and students will never forget it: for example,

sing-sang-sung
begin- began- begun
drink-drank-drunk
and the list continues...

Another thing that has always worked for me is not putting so much pressure on memorizing, the�ll eventually learn them as they use them, and during the first tests I always let them have the list, till they get used to it.
One more tip...expose your students to texts, songs, videos etc where the verbs are actually used...they will naturally acquire the! Good Luck!!!

24 Oct 2008     

puspita
Indonesia

Hi, �PIM-PAM-PUM� rule is good, though we should remind the student that �bring� can�t have �brang�-and �brung� as its past forms Big smile

A variation of �PIM-PAM-PUM� rule is using a maze, in which the students must follow a certain pattern (thus, the rule) to get to the finish line.  The trick is let the students recognize the pattern of the �start word� and the �finish word�, then try to find the words along the maze that have the same pattern.

Hope this is helpful.

25 Oct 2008     

marija2m
Croatia

Do this is worked great with my teens
On small papers write the verb in the infinitive,
then play past simple poker
The point is

ROUND 1:
you pass the cards out equally and then the game starts
to get rid of the card you must say the irregular past form
that is round one
the winner is who first gets rid of their card
if they say the wrong answer they must take everything from the GET RID POT
where people leave the correct answers

ROund 2 :
same thing as round 1 but with the past participle

ROUND 3:
when they r up for it and read
they have to say the irregular past form and Past Participle for the infinitive verb

have fun my kids loved it soo much they wanted to always play it until they got it all right

27 Oct 2008