Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Doubt?    

Doubt?

Jenna M
Portugal

Doubt?

What�s the diference:

I live in...

I�m living in....

and

other - an other - another

Thanks in advance.

24 Oct 2008      

Maria Isabel
Peru

I think the difference is that when you say �I live in...� you�re stating that the place is your regular address or where you are "stablished". It is a permanent place.
Whereas when you say �I�m living in...� you are referring to a temporary place of living, for example when you are taking a course or when you�re sent to do some kind of work at a specific palce but you don�t plan to stay there forever...
I hope that helps.
Regards.
Maria Isabel

24 Oct 2008     

Jenna M
Portugal

Yes, thanks a lot!! ;)
Regards
Daniela

24 Oct 2008     

goodnesses
Algeria

Hi , Venezuela
Portugal

I think Maria Isabel is right about the difference between �I live in...� and �I am living in...�
For �other�, �an other� and �another�,
First, I don�t think �an other� is correct.
Second, �other� is used :
a) mainly with plural countable nouns and uncountable. eg: He has other books to read/work to do.
b) To state a choice (about one or many) and using "the". eg: I want the other book(s).
Third, �another� is used to state a preference or an addition always with singular nouns.
           eg: I want another book/work not this one.
                  I want another cup of coffee/work to do. I got one and I�d like an extra one.

24 Oct 2008     

Logos
Malaysia

Sometimes the difference between the simple present and the progressive is so small that it is not really worth debating about.  There are exceptions of course but generally it may be said that when we use the simple form we are emphasising or more interested in the fact of the statement.

When we use the progressive then we are more interested in the action rather than the fact.  For instance in the two sentences: I walk to work every day.  or I am walking to work everyday.  the meaning is virtually the same, except that one stresses the fact, the other the action.

I think, however, that Maria is absolutely right in her interpretation of �established� and temporary.

Hope this helps and does not cause further confusion

24 Oct 2008     

Jenna M
Portugal

Thanks a lot!!! ;)**

Regards
Daniela

24 Oct 2008