Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Confused    

Confused

meteorit91
Moldova

Confused

What is the difference between the verb have and have got,don �t have and haven �t got.( if there is any) What form is better to teach the students? I know both variants are correct: I have a pen. I have got a pen. I �d like to know you opinion.Smile

14 Jul 2009      

apayala
Spain

I think have is more British and have got more American.

14 Jul 2009     

Jorgelinaac
Argentina

Hi, I am not a hundred percent sure about it but what I have read is that while �I have a pen � is American English, the other one �I have got a pen � is British English. But maybe there is another difference I am not aware of.
As regards which form to teach, if your book has British English, I would teach the Brtitish form. However,  as American English is more widely heard because of films, music, your students may be more acquainted with the American form. In that case, you may explain the difference between them, depending on the level of your students :)
I hope it helps!

Besides, have got is for possesions, relationships and other states. But it also means different things...such as I have breakfast, etc, without using got.

Best regards :)

14 Jul 2009     

dawnmain
United Kingdom

have got is more informal, more typical in speaking
have is more formal and more common on written English

have got is easier to teacher as the auxiliary is also have

14 Jul 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Apayala,
You go it backwards.  We say have but the Brits say have got.

14 Jul 2009     

redrover
United Kingdom

It �s interesting to see what you all think us �Brits � say. Quite amusing in fact:) especially the part about �I have a..... � being American English. It �s all English unless your going to/gonna start using words such as �smog � or �dude �, even the words we don �t commonly use such as automobile were still invented by us. I often say �I have got a... � and also �I have a � and also �I �ve got a..... �, but past teenage years or older we change the pronunciation of the �a � as in the �A for apple � sound into an �ah � sound. Sorry, I don �t know the phonetic symbol for that. Everyone in England is likely to say all of the previous at somepoint. Don �t let the whole British English/American English thing confuse you so much, it �s really not that complicated.... it �s ENGLISH:)

14 Jul 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Bless you, Redrover! In Brazil, they all insist on American English (for the most part, at least). I tell them I teach English... the language... nothing more, nothing less. There is far too much emphasis on the �where �. I can understand it from a listening or accent point of view, as they �re more familiar with the American, but beyond that, it is all English.

To those who asked, whichever form you use, it will be understood as being perfectly correct English in either country, America or England.

14 Jul 2009     

douglas
United States

--Spagman is correct.  "Have got" is used a little bit in the US, but significantly less than in the UK. We tend to use "have" where most folks from the UK use "have got".

Whether you chose to teach "have" or "have got" should partially be based on the goal of your teaching.  If students are studying for a qualification exam, check which form is used more by that particular exam and teach it.  I personally find "have got" to be unnecessarily more complicated for newer speakers.  It used to drive me nuts hearing young Europeans struggling with "have got" and not realising that "have" would serve the same purpose--they didn �t want to believe me, "because their teacher taught them �have got�".  Everyone knows how we barbaric, uncultured Americans "can�t talk right"

redrover: knocking your mother up because you hit my budgie with a rubber is British English

In American English that sentence has a whole different meaning (nothing to do with parakeets, erasers, and knocking on the door)Shocked

So which is correct:  learn, learned, learned  or learn, learnt, learnt; color or colour?

There is a difference and if you don�t address the differences with your students they will become confused.

14 Jul 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Redrover: Of course it �s all English but you have to be aware there are differences in cultures and expressions. It �s the same thing in French. There are expressions that I know I would not understand in France and we all speak French. It �s part of our cultures and that �s what makes it great.

Douglas: You �re example is brilliant.

To all: Have a good day!

14 Jul 2009     

douglas
United States

Here �s a link to more examples (one of my advanced beginner students gave it to me):

14 Jul 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Thanks Douglas! Interesting link. What �s more, I get to learn a bit of German...

14 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >