Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Debate topic    

Debate topic

Tint
South Africa

Debate topic

I have a worksheet in my files that I have been using in the classroom for many years. I no longer have any idea where I got it from. I have searched the internet and found the same worksheet with variations in clubs, forums, and educational institutes. If anyone knows the source, I �ll be more than happy to credit it. This is not my own work, which is why I haven�t put it among my own downloadable worksheets on this site. I wanted to share it anyway, so here goes...

This lesson is aimed at getting intermediate to advanced students talking. I use it with teens to older students. It promotes discussion. The results never cease to surprise me! Naturally, you �ll need to be sensitive to the cultural beliefs of your class before using something like this, though I have yet to experience any problems.

I have uploaded the Word doc to my own site. Feel free to download it by clicking on the link below.

"Fall-out Shelter"

If you are wary of clicking on strange links ;) you are welcome to Google "Fall-out shelter problem".

15 Jul 2009      

douglas
United States

If I remember right, I once saw somewhere that the US Air Force uses this for some of it �s diversity/morals lessons.  That could be a possible source.

Reading the scenario, I noticed a few things: (good discussion point)

-It doesn�t say if the police officer is male or female (most people assume it�s a male) 
  -It doesn�t say if the prostitute is male or female (assumed female)
-Don�t know if  the "militant negro", the biochemsit, or the rabbi are male or female (I think rabbis have to be male)

This could be fun to let them work the problem and if they don´t ask) tell them that the prostitute is male and  the "militant" black person, the police officer and the biochemist are all female.

Could be fun...

15 Jul 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Thanks for the input, Douglas : ) I found that the lack of male/female identification in those ones spurred discussion too. It is a great way to address stereotypes and our perception of what people �should � be.

What I like about the exercise is that it forces them to use their reasoning skills combined with exploring new ways to express themselves. A problem with any second language is making one �s way in the murky waters of in-depth discussion after you �ve used up all the "Nice weather today" topics ; )

16 Jul 2009