Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Certificate of Proficiency in English    

Certificate of Proficiency in English

Floria
Serbia

Certificate of Proficiency in English

Hi everyone!
I suppose many of you have passed the CPE exam. I graduated at the Philological faculty in Belgrade / Serbia, but I would like to take that exam as well.
I would appreciate any help from your side, like: what books/tests have you used for the preparation (is the material published by Cambridge University Press enough?), did you find it difficult, did you find the diplomma useful afterward...? Write everything that can come across your mind concerning that exam:-)

Thank you all Wink

15 Jul 2009      

anitarobi
Croatia

I haven �t taken the exam itself, but I have prepared some students for it, and what I found most useful was simply googling PCE practice and choosing exercises, also, naturally, using the materials from the website of the British Council, and lots and lots of reading- read real, unabridged literary works (The Council always provides a suggested list of texts, but you can pick your own) - such as E. A. Poe, all Sherlock Holmes stories, anything by Jane Austen or George Orwell, but also modern, living language, such as the National Geographic articles, various interviews, The Times, watch BBC documentaries (fantastic source of linguistic material from various fields of human interest, in a very interesting setting). Vocabulary is the key, I would say, the use of idioms and specific field-related vocabulary. Because if you �ve taken and passed the FCE or the CAE, all the grammar is already there in your head. Good luck to you, btw...
Anita

15 Jul 2009