Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > copyright issue    

copyright issue

baiba
Latvia

copyright issue

Following this thread http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=10433&page=1

I feel sorry for Ivi who got blamed for advertising the site which offers to download books and materials for teachers.

To all the passionate opponents.

Have you seen that all the materials advertised on http://www.taringa.net/posts/2665928 is to be downloaded from the site http://www.rapidshare.com which seems to be a perfectly legal site recognized in all world? People pay to download so they must have some rights of distributing the materials. How can you be so sure that we download illegally?

19 Jul 2009      

Nebal
Lebanon

Hi,

I �m sure that Ivi didn �t mean any harm and she shouldn �t be blamed.  She just found it useful and was very generous to share it with us, believing that it could help us !!!

However, we sshould be more alert and shouldn �t advertise links to copyrighted books coz we don �t accept that ours be downloaded illegally. This is the truth!!
Moreover, posting such sites might involve us and Victor in problems we wouldn �t expect.

There �s no need to blame anyone here. We need to be aware and more alert. Stop posting such links to books and try to keep your wonderful ESL community safe.

All the best,
Nebal

19 Jul 2009     

zailda
Brazil

I �ve already posted something about this tread on the forum. Ivi shouldn �t be blamed because some members asked last week about the site in the forum, it �s a different site and has other rules. They had problems with illegal material some members posted there and we have to pay attention to avoid this sort of problems in the future.

Victor asked the members to stop posting links for illegal books to avoid future problems and he �s right, we don �t want here the same matters they are constantly having there. Maybe because they don �t have a vigilant moderators staff as we have here...

Have a nice Sunday

Zailda Coirano

19 Jul 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

Dear baiba, you felt the need to defend Ivi, but there was no need to. I made it clear that the criticism was NOT directed at her and that I understood her good intentions. She took it like a good sport and everything was sorted out in the end. Thumbs Up No one attacked HER, but the hypocricy and double standards.
As i now checked the thread, everyone who got excited about the books have removed their posts. I guess they realised that it was a wrong thing to do. Personally, i think that the posts shouldn �t have been removed, but editted or something. Everyone is allowed to make a mistake and then �repent �. As far as i know most of them were fairly new members and they were not aware of some things, just as i myself wasn �t when i first joined the site.
We live and learn.

19 Jul 2009     

PhilipR
Thailand

It �s not because people pay to download via Rapidshare that everything they download is legal. Thinking that is completely absurd.

Most, if not all stuff - books and videos alike - on these torrents are posted illegally. Of course many sites cover themselves by inserting a meaningless notice such as

"You also agree to use any materials you may find there for personal review purposes only, to delete them from your hard drive afterwards and to purchase the hard copy."

Yeah right...

19 Jul 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Dear Philip, how can a person know for sure that what he/she is going to download from a legal site is illegal?? Please enlighten me!

19 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Baiba
Let �s call a cat a cat.

When you pay "rapidshare" you are giving money to the owners of the server not to the owners of the material.
Don �t tell us that you believe that paying 10 � (monthly, yearly...) to download tons of material that very often other people pay hundreds of � a unit is legal.

The material in "englishtips.org" is illegal because uploaded illegally. How?
It is uploaded only by the members of the site not by the owners of the site. And you should know that when you own a copyrighted material especially books you don �t have the right to upload/redistribute it anywhere. The book is your property not the copyright. Thus anyone who downloads a material from there is doing something illegal. Like it or not.
If this site were just for promoting and advertising the material you would not have access to its complete and final publication (whole books not missing a single page [very often valuable and rare books, then very expensive ones], software with their cracks and/or serial numbers from crackers and hackers, complete video films and music albums, etc...) but to samples only (books) or demonstration versions (software) or excerpts (music/audio)

You should agree that taking someones work without paying or at least without permission is the least we can say bad.

Copyright infringement is illegal in all countries of the world. What changes from one country  to another is the kind and strength of sanctions after the infringement.

We are not blaming any one for using or not using those site. But at least people should be descent and polite not to give lessons about legality and respecting the rules here when there is an issue concerning this problem.

And let �s have some respect to Victor �s will on this site : : http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=8795

Best regards to all.

19 Jul 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Thank you all for sharing your opinions!
Still I am confused about the existence of such sites as Rapidshare or Scribd. Does it really mean that they exist only for those who want to download books illegally, not for law-abiding people? WHY are they allowed on the net then???

Honestly, I want to understand this.

19 Jul 2009     

melahel7
Canada

Hello,

After reading all the comments and pounding on the issue for at least a minute and a half, here �s my final take...  Even though, I do agree with what �s being said above, I must urge you to open your eyes on what is also going on this website.  I �ve seen a lot of worksheets with pictures coming from books and pictionaries such as Longman.  It didn �t seem to bother anyone.  As for people taking pictures from a google search, you should also be aware that almost every  picture is potentially copyrighted as specified by google itself. And last but no least, those cute cliparts that thousands of members seem to enjoy recycling on their own worksheets are certaily unaware that those cute pictures come from a royalty-free site called Iclipart.com.  You actually have to pay 34.95 $ a year to have the right to use them.  I paid for that and I doubt you all are members of that website.  That didn �t seem to bother anyone either.  That being said, I don �t think you should ask people permission to use the pictures included in their worksheets since the aforementioned cliparts (and a lot of cliparts as a matter of fact) do not belong to them in the first place.   So please, let �s not be hypocritical about what is also really going on in here.  One more thing, here �s something that �s been puzzling me for a while.  Why do a lot of people say � �Past Simple � � ?  It �s Simple Past.  It �s like saying a cat black, it don�t make sense to me.  I love this website, I think there are a lot of dedicated teachers out there who all deserve credit for their hard work and I �m so glad that faith brought me here among the members of this great community.  Bless you all and have a great day !  P.S  Baiba, let me break it down to you.  Rapidshare. com is a hosting website just like Megaupload, Easyshare, Uploading, File Factory (and the myriads of clones out there trying to get their piece of the pie) that provide the member with web space (just like a hard drive) that allows you to upload content such as pictures, videos and pretty much whatever you want.  The issue here is that people use it to upload copyrighted material such as movies, music and software.  The hosting websites are completely legal it´s sometimes the content that isn´t.  If you are looking for a cheap legal way to download digital goods, there are a lot of websites now that offer mp3s for as low as 0.10 $ and movies in DivX format for 2.99 $  If anyone needs help, let me know.  Hope this was helpful.

19 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Dear Baiba

Don �t mix up. Scribd is different. It works like ESLprintables. people are supposed to upload their own material there in Word Docs, PPTs, PDFs, TXTs or openoffice format. However, some people upload illegal material there too since they don �t have an effective system of moderation yet. Scribd is like "youtube", "teachertube", "dailymotion" "vimeo" etc... What is interesting in scribd is that your doc, whatever format it is, is converted to a presentation like document and gives you an embeding code that you can use to embed this doc into any webpage personal or other (the file is not downloaded it stays there in Scribd). I tried this with a text I uploaded there and used its embeding code for an OE (englishexercises.org)  here and it is just fantastic. The whole text can be viewed in screen form zone delimited on the page and the SS can scroll it without having to scroll all the page. Thus they have an eye on the text and another on the task. It is amazing and cute too.

"rapidshare" , "megaupload" , "hotfile" and many others are hosting servers not websites. "englishtips.org" is a web site exposing material hosted by the severs here named. But in "englishtips.org" members who are all anonymous with fake profiles upload only copyrighted material; books, software, audio/video which are supposedly exclusive for the promotion of the English language. But what is illegal is illegal unless the laws are chnged.

EDIT: Scribd can help us avoid over loading ESLprintables. How?
- With ONLINE exercise it can help include long text (for advanced learners) in a delimited area and not over loed the page.
- If you have WS that exceed the site´s size limitation and you want absolutely to share with members of the site here, you can upload these in Scribd for free then give the link here either publically via forum or privately via PMs so that people can View/download them from there. And BTW, what makes the big difference with those illegal sites is that in Scribd you are given a) an option to permit or deny the doc´s downloading. b) an option to mark your doc with a choice from different copyright level.

19 Jul 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

I �d like to ask something about this link: http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=10440&page=1

Since the pictures uploaded to this site are aparently �stolen � .....Would our worksheets get reported if we use them to decorate our work?? 

I don �t udnerstand why if this action is illigal, why are these sites online??

19 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >