Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > help with tenses    

help with tenses

angelamoreyra
Argentina

help with tenses

hello can you help I have doubts:will or going to.
1- it �s 8:15 pm and Alan is still in bed ,he....................catch the 8:20 bus.
2-computers are becoming important.More people ............have a computer at home.

thank you in advance.

by the way ,There is a site which have funny food drawings I think you �ll like it

20 Jul 2009      

lynn_28
Costa Rica

hI!!

CHECK http://www.englishpage.com/verbpage/simplefuture.html

THERE ARE SOME EXPLANATIONS ABOUT THIS...

20 Jul 2009     

Popina
Uruguay

HI THERE! FOR NUMBER 1 THE CORRECT ANSWER IS GOING TO ( BASED ON EVIDENCE)
AND FOR NUMBER TWO WILL IS CORRECT BECAUSE IT �S A PREDICTION.

20 Jul 2009     

baiba
Latvia

Ha ha ha! I think it is the opposite, Popina! In the first sentence we can predict that �he won �t catch the bus �. In the second there is evidence that �more people are going to have... �
What are our native speakers saying?

20 Jul 2009     

paula_esl
Portugal

Hi! I agree with Popina. It �s obvious he isn �t going to catch the 8.20 bus. You can �t predict what is obvious. In the second sentence, you are making a prediction about the future. It should be �will �

20 Jul 2009     

amely13
Ukraine

Popina is absolutely right.Clap

20 Jul 2009     

mjotab
Spain

I would also say not going to in the first and will in the second, though I am never certain about this subject, and if it is difficult for us, I wonder how it must be for our stsErmm

20 Jul 2009     

GIOVANNI
Canada

Catch the bus means the same as get the bus.  As he only has 5 minutes to catch the bus it is evident that he will not make it on time.  I would have to say not going to based on evidence.  As for the second I would feel free using both will and going to.

20 Jul 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

dear !
I really wonder how he could catch the bus of 8:20 since he is in bed at 8:15. Unless he ate some kind of spinach better than Popey �s and had already got his ticket in his pocket, I don �t believe he could.

The two examples, in my opinion, are expressing a strong possibility. in the first one we are almost sure he cannot catch that train so the verb should negative "won �t/cannot catch" in the second one we are almost sure that more people are to have computers so the very should be "will have"

cheers

Edit:the bus not the train

20 Jul 2009     

ballycastle1
United Kingdom

I would say �was going to � (going to - to indicate a general plan or intention, rather than a prediction, the other use of the phrase) for the first one, to indicate that his intention will not be fulfilled, because, as Giovanni says, he won �t do it now; for the second, �are going to � to predict future events based on present concrete evidence, and also �will � where the prediction is based on judgement, knowledge or guesswork.

20 Jul 2009     

maufon
Costa Rica

What a nice discussion!!!!
Everything is as  clear as the water now.   Isn�t it titila???

I am just kidding. Hugs to all of you!Hug

21 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >