Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Key Content Vocabulary    

Key Content Vocabulary

Amna 107
United Arab Emirates

Key Content Vocabulary

Hi teachers and friends

I have to teach a lesson using key content vocabulary about any subject. I will teach this lesson for my colleagues in university.

I need some ideas for the lesson please. I can�t find anything on the internet.

For example, if I teach a lesson about cars, the key vocabulary will be wheels, horn, accelerator, and so on.

Can you think of any interesting idea for teaching key content vocabulary.
 I would prefer to find an interesting passage or story that has some difficult words to teach them as basic words in the lesson.

I was thinking of a lesson about the four seasons, but it will be easy for my colleagues to know the key vocabulary for the seasons.

I need your help please  ^_^

25 Oct 2008      

viggia (F)
Italy

Hello there.

I find it difficult to think about specific vocab. related to seasons.

You might refer to more general topics such as "the weather" and relate it to each season.
See this outstanding ws posted by Karen:

Bye.

25 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

Hi Amna,

Not sure if this will help but I recently did a lesson on the financial crisis with intermediate students.  Before a discussion I always get students to �connect to their prior knowledge�.  I think this would be very helpful for learning �key content vocabulary�.  The lesson went like this:

1) Put �financial Crisis� on the board in a cloud.

2) Have students call out random words that come into their brain - accept everything!!! (you can group the words as you write them if they need support - depends on their level of english)

3) Ask the students to identify one theme or category that they have noticed. (e.g. institutions, problems, consequences, people, business etc)  Go through and circle everything that fits into that category in a different colour pen.

4)Now get the students to work in groups of 3-4 people.  They have to create categories for all of the other words on the board.  Get them to do this on a piece of paper - organising all of the words. 

5) Share the categories back as a class. 

6) Get each group to identify 3 new words for each category.

7) Put all of the organised word lists on the wall for everyone to see and use while you are discussing this topic.

Optional next steps:
- Now students are ready to create questions they would like to answer
- Webquest on the topic
- Debate on the topic
- Express opinions on the topic
- share a piece of information about the topic

This is what I call scaffolding students to enable them to build their vocabulary and to warm up their english brain.

25 Oct 2008     

Amna 107
United Arab Emirates

Thanks viggia ..
I think I will look for something different than the weather because I can�t find difficult key vocabulary about this topic.

Thank you Vickiii
This is a good idea. I will think seriously about it.

Many thanks for your help :)

25 Oct 2008     

1hpf
Israel

Maybe you can use "natural disasters "  as your lesson. There are many difficult words you can use, and it�s an interesting topic, in my opinion.

26 Oct 2008     

caritush
Argentina

You can also use the theme of "Space". I did a lesson plan for kids (9-10 yrs old)though, about the solar system, and I had to simplify the material A LOT. That theme is very flexible bc you can make it as easy or as complicated as you want. Plus, you can include science experiments which are always fun, and NASA as well as other institutes have lots of teacher resources for all levels. Besides, you usually have osme current events, it�s like an "updated" theme
Plus, maybe i�m just a nerd, but learning about space it�s always fun and interesting! Smile

26 Oct 2008