Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > corrections    

corrections

alex1968
Greece

corrections

Hi Everyone

I really love this site and usually download ws early in the morning before I go to work because I work 24/7.  I think the concept of sharing is fantastic...It�s useful too especially now that I have so little time. 

From time to time I notice some grammar mistakes on ws...and I�m hesitant about "correcting" or pointing this out to the creator of the ws in order not to offend anyone, although I do occasionally. 
I know I make "typos" etc too (my students are quick to point them out to me!!!!).

Anyway, I was wondering what the rest of you think.  Is it ok?Shocked
Personally I wouldn�t mind but I wouldn�t like to step on any toes.

Thanx for all the great ws!!!!

Forever Grateful!!!
Alex

26 Oct 2008      

Lidiana73
Australia

Hi Alex, I too notice grammar mistakes and typos on ws..and have also been corrected by students (in one respect it�s good that it shows that they are learning!!. Personally if someone found any errors on my printables I would like to know about it so I can correct it and then upload it again. Many a time I have downloaded a printable where I have had to spend a considerable amount of time correcting spelling and grammar mistakes. I have mentioned this on the forum before and I feel that after you have corrected the errors (some have many) it almost becomes your printable! Also I wanted to say to the person who uploaded a worksheet on the Present Simple last week (can not remember who it was) it was very obvious that it was scanned from a text book. 1) It opens as an image in Word 2) You can see the previous page that came through on the scanning Shame on You! That is unfair getting points for something that is not yours and you are also breaching copyright!!! Regards Chiocciola (Lidiana)

26 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

http://www.eslprintables.com/forum/topic.asp?id=948

26 Oct 2008     

danibauer
Brazil

It�s happened once to me and the person has said: "You should know that..." and it made me fell really upset, because we know what we are doing, but sometimes we�re in a hurry or don�t even notice...

In my opinion,  it�s completely ok to point out, but it has to be in a nice way in order to avoid hurting somebody else�s feelings. I liked the way that labybird suggested.

Have a nice Sunday and thanks for the nice comments on my worksheets!!!

XO from Brazil,

Daniela

26 Oct 2008     

mena22
Portugal

I definitely agree with the 3 of you! If there is a mistake in one of my worksheets, I will be grateful if someone takes the time to tell me.  However, I�ve also noticed  mistakes in some worksheets, and the fact is I felt too embarrassed to say anything, not because I don�t care, but because I am afraid to be misinterpreted, even If I say it in a very nice, subtle way... I really don�t know If I will ever be able to do it! Maybe if more people share their thoughts on this issue and I see we have the same opinion. Smile Have a nice Sunday!

26 Oct 2008     

mena22
Portugal

Thank you frenchfrog! I�ve read people�s opinions and It seems that most of us agree on this! But it�s still, and it will always be, a sensitive matter.

26 Oct 2008     

frenchfrog
France

I totally agree with you! This is not an easy thing to do and we are likely to see other posts like this one in the future!Wink

26 Oct 2008     

alex1968
Greece

I read the site u posted Frenchfrog and it seems that most active members are of the same opinion. 

Like Ladybird said, we don�t always take the time to search the forum for our questions...(I confess my guilt!!!Embarrassed) but like most new members, I�m still feeling my way around.Smile

I enjoy reading the forum but it took me a while to find out how to actually take part in any discussions...

Anyway, I�d like to extend a big thanx to all involved. 
There is a big community spirit and it�s nice to feel appreciated...something I think we often don�t...  the usually story of being overworked and underpaid!!!

Sharing ws is such a great idea, especially when u get positive feedbackHug

Hope u all have a great day!!!

Best regards from sunny Greece,
Alex

26 Oct 2008     

Vickiii
New Zealand

I think it is important to remember that the majority of people on this website have English as a 2nd language.  Many also are just beginning in their career.  I am of 2 minds on the issue:
On the one hand I hate it when people get upset, feel insulted, or start saying they will give up on sharing because a mistake was pointed out.
But on the other hand I think this forum and website helps us to develkop as teachers, learn new techniques, and learn about different aspects of English  In this case I think it is actually a very important part of everyones learnign - to actually point out mistakes.

I have found a solution to my dilemma.  When I see a particularly common error in either grammar or just general use of english as a native speaker, I bring it up as an issue in the grammar section of the forum - it is not even necessary to identify the worksheet in question - although if it is a particularly popular worksheet - i think it is important to do so - to ensure that a wide range of teachers are not teaching the wrong information.

Just my 2 cents.
Vickiii (the indecisive - if you read the forum that Frenchie identified I am sure you will see I had sworn off giving any feedback on errors! - I just can�t help myself though!)

26 Oct 2008     

danibauer
Brazil

I think the verb hate is too strong, Vicky, but think about the effort and the time we spend doing something to share... In my case I would never stop contributing for that reason...
I felt disappointed with myself for making a mistake and sweet words would make me fell less embarrassed about my lack of attention!

Best regards,

Daniela

26 Oct 2008