Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Techniques and methods in Language Teaching > Are You an Angry Red Pen??    

Are You an Angry Red Pen??

Sara26
Brazil

Hi Dear Nebal,

I also like to use pink to correct, although I don �t think red might be a problem; I guess it has more to do with the way the teacher does than with the color. You can be nice using red and aggressive using any other color.

Have a great weekend!
Hugs & kisses,
Sara

25 Jul 2009     

ants
Switzerland

I must ask teachers in the local schools here in Switzerland...if they have problems with using a red pen. Personally, as a private teacher, I don �t use a red pen...any other colour will do.Smile
Fiona.

25 Jul 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Well, I ask my young students to use a pencil so, if they make mistakes, they can erase them! Errors are a mean for learning, they are not a failure or punishment. If they use a blue pen I underline the error with a black pen, they have to try to self correct, if they don �t succed I help them.

25 Jul 2009     

Judith@rwen
Argentina

Hi!

What an interesting topic Nebal!! It is a very controversial issue..

I don�t like using red to correct students� works, test...etc.. I often use green or violet Smile

However, I do agree with CYN and other posts here  who say that it�s not about the colour but HOW teachers correct. I find red an aggressive, shocking colour to correct papers... but so are big capital letters (failing marks) written right on the front page using green, blue etc.. that�s very aggressive but then it all has to do with personalities, (I feel...) some students don�t mind and would never feel discouraged while others do.  I consider that as teachers, we are very good at identifying student�s character and personalities so we can pay attention to these things...

I personally like to make some comments at the back of the paper if needed instead of writing many things on top of students� words...

It�s my opinion anyway..

Have a great weekend !!

25 Jul 2009     

mena22
Portugal

Hi my dear Nebal! Personally I LOVE red, but not for marking my students � work. Why? Maybe because when I was a student my teachers always marked our work with a red pen and too much red on paper meant failure. I really don �t know, but I usually correct the students work with a green, violet, orange pen. But I also agree with those who say that the way you correct is extremely important. I don �t agree with the use of capital letters, exclamation marks, whatever may sound that we are angry when we are correcting. Problems must be identified, but a solution must go with them or at least a suggestion for the student and the teacher - "WE" - to work on.

Wish you all a nice day.
Hug
mena

25 Jul 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

I use all kinds of colors, because I like them, too - my sts usually laugh if they see red and say I must have been unusually angry that day, but it �s sort of a joke we have, because we �ve discussed the theory of red hurting their eyes, and it �s not actually the colour they mind, as hysterical lines, crossed out text without explanation which some teachers are in habit of leaving. I find it more useful sometimes to just underline their mistakes and then discuss them with the st in question to see if they themselves realize why it �s wrong, and I find that it works a lot better, or I leave a comment on the side, on the margins, but my sts know that I comment on the good and the bad as well and they like to read the comments. They don �t really mind the colour, but I prefer purple, orange, green....
Anita

25 Jul 2009     

< Previous   1    2