Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Reduced schedule    

Reduced schedule

Emy Lee
Canada

Reduced schedule

Hi everybody,

I wanted to share something that happened to me recently and also see if any of you had experienced the something similar.

I have been working for the same language center for almost a year and a half now, teaching French and English. I used to work from 20 to 25 hours a week - 4 to 5 hours a day. People seemed to be greatly satisfied with my work. I always had excellent comments from my students and peers.

Nevertheless, last Friday, my schedule has been dramaticly reduced to 1h30 a day. I could not get any explanation from my boss. I had to speak with her assistant. She explained that it was simply because of the economical crisis, that the center had fewer and fewer students and that they had to reduce some of the teachers � schedules.

Have any of you experienced something like this?

I am worried and I cannot help myself from thinking that the center got suddenly disappointed in my work, even though I cannot find how or why. What should I do? 

Thanks in advance.

26 Jul 2009      

virtei
Argentina

Do not blame yourself from things like this. This is the difference of working and having family, you know... You cannot rely and be backed by people from your job, trust me. Think of getting new hours somewhere else and it is not your fault. Try to think about what your students say about you.

26 Jul 2009     

wolfy
Chile

my schedule has also been reduced a little (not as much as I had feared though).  If you �re working for an institute the best advice would be to get some private classes.  This could be an opportunity.

26 Jul 2009     

dareka1
Japan

In Japan, in the city I live, the situation is terrible. I �ve worked at three English schools that have closed down, the English boom is over here and studying has a natural cycle, once the cycle is over it �s difficult to get the business back again. Most students study for five years or so, there aren �t enough students to continue replenishing the ones that slowly fade away..... at least that �s my opinion.
If you are worried about what to do, study for a masters degree, then you �ll be able to try for many jobs and you won �t need to worry so much.

26 Jul 2009     

joy2bill
Australia

Unfortunately, this is the nature of the business. I very much doubt if there is any problem with your teaching. At the school I work for the DOS reduced the hours of many teachers rather than put anyone off. She wanted to keep the ggod team. She proved to be right as the numbers of students went up eventually and she had her "good team" back. It is difficult when you are the one affected but if you can hang in there long enough, all will come right.
Good luck, Joy
PS dareka1 is right ..use the opportunity to extend you qualifications.

26 Jul 2009     

Kate (kkcat)
Russian Federation

During summer time the amount of Ss drastically changes in most language schools and centres, so maybe they will give you all the hours back later...Taking extra hours at another school is a good way out but you should first of all make sure it �s not against the rules of the school you are working at now. If not against, then you shouldn �t worry and start applying but if it is not welcomed at your school, then you will have to decide for yourself what is better to do. Good luck, everything will be ok.

26 Jul 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Well summer cuts are normal, so I wouldn �t worry too much - any school with clever managment knows how to value good staff. I work in a private school for language courses which is funded only from the payments made by sts/their parents, so I am worried about how this whole crisis thing influences the whole situation. But my parents have always taught me - THERE IS ALWAYS WORK FOR THOSE WHO WANT TO WORK. So, things will definitely turn around for you. (PS: Private classes, if possible, are a good way to fill your wallet and gain more experience, and if you can invest in your own education while �waiting �, that �s absolutely fantastic - so all the advice people gave you here is really useful.)

26 Jul 2009     

Emy Lee
Canada

Thanks guys for your kind words. It surely cheered me up !! Smile

26 Jul 2009