Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Looking for ideas to teach students to write     

Looking for ideas to teach students to write

Rosahi
Spain

Looking for ideas to teach students to write

Hi mates !
I �m very interested in activities , games or ideas to teach writing.  I think that the problem comes when students need to write fluently and they can �t because they are not used to  doing it  from an early age.   I also think that we should devote more time to writing in the classroom, but I find it difficult to do.
Have you got any ideas or do you know any interesting bookmarks?
Thanks a lot
Enjoy your holiday

28 Jul 2009      

H7english
India

Hi dear,

I know a bit how to motivate children to make them ready to write..

just read the below.Hope it would help you,

1. Give them a little story printed on a paper.
2.They need to collect relevant material from the passage, re-organize it and present in the form of narration.
3.it is suggested that the topic for writing may be discussed in detail in class,but the actual writing may,as far as possible, be done at home.
4.while correcting the work done by the pupils keep in mind that you should concentrate on

a) mechanics: handwriting, spelling, puncuation, etc
b)Language: words, sentence structure, grammar,etc
c)content:ideas, facts, arguments,etc.,
d)style: choice of words,variety in sentence structure etc.,

It might be a bit tough when you read this..but when u put it in practice it would be really helpful.

Take any short story you and they really know better.

Ask them to take any character they like

Give them the whole idea of the story

make them have a role play

after that let them document the same free flowing dialogues on a paper

then you correct them and prepare them with proper grammatical structure

Show them the difference..

Hope it would help you...

If u find this good..
I feel happy ...if not please let me know .. I �ll definately try to givein some more inputs..

Feel free to ask me..
you can always mail me at

Thank you so much...

28 Jul 2009     

Rosahi
Spain

Thanks Bharat.  I �ll try it and see what happens.  Sometimes I feel very fustrated because I start working with them with good materials and high expectatives and then they get tired and their motivation goes down.
I think I have to try harder.  this is one of my goals for this year starting in September
Thanks again
Regards
Rosahi

28 Jul 2009     

verybouncyperson
Spain

Hi Rosahi,

Why not give them a really basic story with gaps in for specific parts of speech.  You can work through as a class and they can put their own ideas in the story, but you �ll be there to give them a helping hand.

(1)........................ years ago, a (2)......................., (3).......................... boy called (4).............................. was (5)...................................
The (6)............................... town where he lived was full of (7)................................. and was famous for its (8)...........................................
One day, he was walking (9).................................... to the (10)................................. when...

(1) number
(2) (3) (6) adjectives
(4) his name
(5) present participle
(7) (8) nouns
(9) adverb
(10) place

I �ve seen it done as well with higher levels whereby you don �t tell them where the gaps should go.

T :)

28 Jul 2009     

joedapuppy
China

I think this depends on age and skill of the kids but I teach at a public school in China and many of my students I only see twice a month so I always start class with a writing prompt in a journal.

If it is the end of the school year I ask them what they liked about class or want to change next year, if it is the beginning of the year I ask them to write about their goals this year and in the middle of the year I will have them write about freind family home movie stars anything I find that fits the topic.

For me it is just the beginning of each class and its just 10 minutes of writing time some kids write a paragraph some write 2 lines.

The secret is not asking questions that let them answer yes or no.

Really there are books for sale that have writing prompts for every day of the year for different grade levels and if you search around you can also find writing prompts online but I think they are awesome and at the end of the school year its great to see what some of these kids have to say about what they wish was different about their school.   If you do this try to give them a couple questions to choice from about a topic but tell them go with it if you want me to share some of the writing prompts I have send me a note.

28 Jul 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Kids all ages love colour - they love to read big colourful texts and they like to write in all colors and shapes. Since I don �t know the age and level of your sts, I cannot give you concrete texts, but this basic colourful principle works every time - if you have misspelled words on colourful paper cutouts, printed or hand-written, and stick them on the board and have kids correct them - it �s a sure success. If they �re older and you expect more from them, give them a text with mistakes in it - they love finding other people �s mistakes and fixing them. Very bouncy person has a point with fill-ins as well, but again - I would add lots of colour. Kids also like picture stories - you have a text where the key words are substituted with pics and you have your kids write words instead of pictures. I love using popular songs for dictation, as well. Play the song, press pause, rewind, play again, etc. I often use Frank Sinatra because of his perfect diction and timeless songs, and all my sts love him - Fly me to the Moon as a dictation is just perfect for all age groups.
Good luck!
Anita

28 Jul 2009     

Lehrerin1
Australia

I liked the ideas on the powerpoint below that encourages creatie writing in a target foreign language.

29 Jul 2009