Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Other subjects    

Other subjects

Tint
South Africa

sub�ject (n., adj. sub�jikt; v. s�b jekt�), n.
1.    that which forms a basic matter of thought, discussion, investigation, etc.: a subject of conversation

Goodnesses, I do believe that I am not mixing the two. They are essentially the same ;) At least... according to my dictionary.

Like Alet, I am South African and have taught in South African schools. I know exactly what she means by �subject �. I have also been teaching EFL and ESL for more than 10 years, using many subjects (yes, school subjects too) to keep my classes interesting.

What I was saying in my comment is that a lesson on, say, the human heart, which is taught in Biology, can be taught to EFL students. I have also had the priviledge of teaching students who need to be prepared to enter regular English schools. They need to be prepared to study their Biology, Science, etc in English. Trust me, doing Maths in your native language is very different from doing it in a foreign language.

In South Africa, for many years, the tribal kids weren �t included in mainstream schools. There came a time when they were included. It was hard for them to do their subjects in English, so yes, we needed a program that could teach ESL through regular school subjects.

To answer your question then... "Subject" is really no different from "topics/themes" : )

1 Aug 2009     

< Previous   1    2