Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > Swine Flu    

Swine Flu

dayssb
Brazil

Swine Flu

I know the subject seems to have nothing to do with teaching but for me and my cooworkers, it does. The swine flu has already arrived in Brazil for more than a month but for only a couple of weeks my state has registered the first cases and now, my city also has some sick people. Yesterday afternoon, classes were suspended for a week and I`m freaking out. A month ago I went to Chile (I loooooved Santiago) and it was a period when lots of cases appeared there. My fiance and I used to clean our hands with alcohol and when I arrived back in Brazil, I started  feeling dizzy, my heart was too fast, I could not stay in closed places, so I went to the doctor. He told me I was starting to have The Panic Syndrome. I can`t sleep very well, I feel really worried. Last morning while I still had 3 classes to teach, I was inside the first one when I started to cry and cry. Now, my brother`s girlfriend has fever and her mother is taking her to the hospital. I worry about her, about my friends, my family... While in Chile, we wouldn`t watch or listen about it but it seems that in Brazil the means of comunication want Brazilians to panic or is it really a reason for us to panic? Please, tell me about what happened in your countries... tell me about cases in which people recovered from the flu... help me feel less worried and stop crying. I`ll keep praying for doctors to find a vaccine and for those who are sick to recover soon. Thanks.Cry

31 Jul 2009      

rosebard
Brazil

Hi dayssb,
I �m so sorry to hear about that. We have few cases in the south of Brazil, but people are being treated.
I �ll pray too that this will be over soon.
♥ Rosie

31 Jul 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Hi dayssh,

There is no reason to panic.
The best thing is to be informed: when you know about the problem you do not feel fear but are careful.

This flu is not serious if you react immediately. If  you happen to have sudden fever, you have to go  to casualty straightway. They inject you and following the treatment there is no risk except for people with chronic diseases, pregnant women or anyone with a poor immune system.
There are people who catch it without realizing they have it! So it is very, very important to be cautious when outside your house, but there is no reason to feel fear if you are healthy.

There is already a vaccine for this flu which is undergoing the final tests and is supposed to be available by the end of the year (they say)

Take it easy. Stress isn�t good.

31 Jul 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Cheer up! If you are treated it �s not dangerous. In Italy all people recovered!
Ciao

31 Jul 2009     

nejar
Peru

hi!
You actually seem to have a panick attack because of the  AH1N1 (swyne flu). Do not worry so much, it is  a different kind of flu. It is true that some people have died  because of it, BUT it is because they had some other health problems or had factor risks(pregnancy, obesity, according to what I heard). We must remember that that may happen with any other health problem as well.  Hygiene is extremely important, avoiding close spaces where there are lots of people or people who seem to have this flu. In my country, Peru, school holidays were taken in advance and a few schools in Lima closed for a few days because they found some students hag gotten the virus (a trip abroad.)
If our inmune system is strong and eat well Chances are few that we get it, or we may have it but still it won�t be that serious. =) (These were words of health authorities in my country)  Dear dayssib I am sure you will feel better soon. Of course we should be alert all the time.

Nelly

31 Jul 2009     

discretissime
France

I heard this flu was no more dangerous than a "normal" flu... the problem is that it �s more contagious. Here in France, a 14-year-old died of it, but she suffered from another serious illness. Try not to worry too much... wash your hands and keep out of overcrowded places.
B�r�nice.

31 Jul 2009     

meuge
Argentina

Oh.... I know what you are getting through... but believe me... there is no reason to panic...
Here in Argentina we are starting classes on Monday because of this new influenza... classes have been cancelled for near a month... in fact two weeks, because the last two weeks were the Winter holiday ones!!!

I advise you to stay at home with the family... to enjoy... relax and not over-react... ... It is just a matter of time... and of not getting into panic and staying calm...
More people die in accidents and robberies, from hunger and cancers , from the common flu....and I can go on and on....than from influenza A 
Confused  but it is in the news and we all know that the media can be very bad sometimes... and the pharm labs ... Ermmwhat can I tell you that you don �t already know...

Don �t worry!!!!!! Live!!!!!!

See you!!

M. EugeniaHug

PS Follow all the advices that everyone is giving you... That�s it.

31 Jul 2009     

Claudia Tournier
Argentina

I agree with Meuge!! Do not panic!! Just take care!! Information gives us power, ignorance makes us feel frightened....wash your hands a lot, avoid crowded places for a while, and relax...you have to remember that it is not mortal!!! You can get it and at the same time with the right treatment, get better!!! 
TAKE IT EASY!!
regards
claudia

31 Jul 2009     

miss_marina...
Chile

Well, I agree with all of you, there �s no need to be worried. Here in Chile is very common. In fact, a lot of my students caught the virus and the lessons weren �t cancelled. They were given medicine and five days off. As the result, I had the AH1N1 myself and I can tell you, that the first day was awful because I had a terrible headache and general pain on my back. But on the second day, I was much better and I started to enjoy my unexpected "break" with my family.

so, don �t be scared.
Breathe (that �s the key to prevent panic attacks)
And finally: don �t worry, be happy....

31 Jul 2009     

dayssb
Brazil

Thank you for your support my friends of the world. After your answers I started feeling way better. I`ll remember your words and try to think only good things, stop watching  Brazilian Channels and keep praying.
God may be with all of you. Hug

31 Jul 2009     

Koenigin der Nacht
Cyprus

I know that as teachers we get in touch with a lot of people in limited spaces.  (I have also been thinking about this.) However, there is no reason to panic!  You know, the media are making a big thing out of it and for good reason.  I �ve heard from a very good doctor that this flu virus was constructed in the lab in order for the pharmatceutical companies to make more drug sales.  That �s why this "disease" is so much advertised nowadays.

Besides, even if it were something really serious it would be just one of those things that we cannot control.  It is my personal belief that if God, or destiny, or your luck or what you will wants you safe, even if you were in the lion �s mouth you would come out unharmed and the opposite. 

Just to give you an example: I was watching in the News a few weeks ago the case of an Indian - I believe he was - who got run over by a lorry and immediately after by a train (or was it the opposite?) and he didn �t even get a scratch.  On the other hand my favourite tenor, Fritz Wunderlich, died at the age of 35 when he fell down the stairs.  Imagine that!

So, no matter how much you take care (or not) what is to come will come and there is nothing to worry about! Cool

31 Jul 2009     

1    2    Next >