Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > Where ´s the best place to learn about kitchen, food and kitchen utensils? In the kitchen!    

Where ´s the best place to learn about kitchen, food and kitchen utensils? In the kitchen!

zailda
Brazil

Where ´s the best place to learn about kitchen, food and kitchen utensils? In the kitchen!

Every year we promote a "chocolate chip cookies" day at my school. We are 20 teachers but not all of us have children classes. I don �t. But we all go to school this day and each child is allowed to bring a friend with him/her.

The kids are divided in groups of 60, 70 childen (they have to bring parents � authorization if they are students or an invitation if they aren �t, so it �s easy to calculate how many they �ll be and to divide them into groups). Each group comes in a different time, one after another.

All the utensils and ingredients are labled and they go to our auditorium which we change into a large kitchen for this ocasion.

They read and prepare the cookies, and they also receive intructions to wash their hands first, use platic gloves, etc. When they are done, some of them go the the "real" kitchen and put the cookies they prepared in the oven. They wait around the big table and the teachers ask them the utensils names and if they remember the recipe. They ask questions and after 20 minutes the cookies arrive!

The cookies come in small baskets with the child �s name and with a small piece of paper with the cookies recipe on it.

Sure, we do have a trick: while some teachers stay with the kids giving instructions and teaching the things � names, the others stay in the kitchen, preparing the real cookies. When they are done, we put them in the small baskets. When the second group comes, we give them the cookies the first group prepared, and so on...

Well, the last one is ours... and they are delicious!

Next time I �ll take some pictures and post here. I loved the experience and the kids loved it as well - and they learn a lot! Maybe you can promote something like that at your school.

Cheers

Zailda Coirano

5 Aug 2009      

luoliveira
Brazil

That �s a really good idea!! We used to do that in the school where I worked some time ago. The language school where I work now is open 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week (and yeah, we have classes (and awaken students!) during dawn, believe it or not!), but the place is kind of small (just four classrooms) so there �s no way of doing that. I remember we had a lot of fun when we prepared cookies with the students. They felt really happy for preparing the cookies "themselves".
Great idade Zailda!!! Congrats!

5 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Bom dia Zailda! This is a fantastic idea and I �ll try to organize something like this in my school, if I succeed! Do you think it �s good to start with a class, just to show my colleagues what all this is about?
Thank you so much!

5 Aug 2009     

moravc
Czech Republic

great idea :-) Will you share the recipe with us? :-D
It would be a great ws - recipe + flashcards of kitchen utensils :-D

5 Aug 2009     

Rosangella
Brazil

Hi Zailda,
can u send me the recipe, please?
Thanks, Rosangella

5 Aug 2009     

zailda
Brazil

OK, I �ll prepare something on this topic, I �ll see if i can find some pics.

Cheers

Zailda

6 Aug 2009