Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > "In addition" - doubt    

"In addition" - doubt

Tere-arg
Argentina

"In addition" - doubt

I have got some doubts regarding this sentence.
Any help will be much appreciated.

3. Roger works very hard to help his parents. He�s also a good student. (In addition) (Two different sentences)

The student did the following:

a. Roger works very hard to help his parents. In addition, he is a good student.
b. Robert is a good student. In addition, he works very hard to help his parents.

10 Aug 2009      

gaby_mn
United States

I would say both of your student�s sentences are correct. Something a little more advanced would be:
In addition to working very hard to help his parents, Roger is a good student.

I would aim for the "in addition to" structure...

Hope this helps

10 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hmm... they sound "off" for some reason - even though they are correct... I would have to think that "in addition"  was meant to be "in addition to" (Is it for a Cambridge exam??)

I would say (this is just me - cause it sounds better to my ears...)

In addition to being a good student, Roger works very hard to help his parents.

10 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Great!

Thanks a lot!

10 Aug 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

Thanks Zora.

No, it is just for practice. The thing is I had never seen the answer my student gave and although it "sounded" weird to me, I could not find the mistake.

Absolutely clear now. Thanks a  lot!  Smile

10 Aug 2009     

arkel
Ireland

I agree with Zora

10 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Wouldn �t it be better to use a concession expression:
eg: Though he works very hard to help his parents, Roger is a good student.

10 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

The "in addition to" is a bit different in meaning Goodnesses.

Though would mean... Despite the fact that he works hard to... Roger is a good student...

In addition would mean... Roger works hard to .... AND he is a good student..

10 Aug 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Tere-arg, I agree with Zora, except for one thing. I understand the original instructions to be that "In addition" must be used and it must use two different sentences because both the "In addition" and "Two different sentences" are in brackets after the example.

A lot depends on how closely you need to stick to the exercise in question.

10 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

Yes Zora I know they are different.
But, I think this situation is better expressed/described through a concession clause.
We use concession when the result is not the expect one. Here Rogers works hard to help his parents and it would be normal if he weren �t a good student because he lacks time or is often tired for studying. But the reality he is the opposite. He is a good student.

I am sure if I give this 2 clauses to my SS to join meaningfully even in French or arabic they will automatically use a concession clause with though, although, ...

10 Aug 2009     

gaby_mn
United States

I agree it sounds better with though/although/even though/. The instructions, however say they need to be joined with In addition, in a strict sense, then, your student�s sentence is GRAMATICALLY CORRECT, even though we all agree that "in addition to" sounds better.

10 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >