Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Grammar and Linguistics > Prepositions...    

Prepositions...

joserik
Spain

Prepositions...

Hello, everybody!
Could you, please, have a look at this sentence?
"In Spanish, the title El Sue�o de una Noche de Verano cannot be considered an exact translation, since it doesn�t refer to a dream in any summer night, but a dream in Saint John�s night."
Does it make sense to you?
Is the use of the preposition "in" correct? Should I use "at"?
Thanks for your time and enjoy your summer! 

11 Aug 2009      

Zora
Canada

If you are referring to Shakespeare �s play... it is called "A Midsummer Night�s DreamSmile

11 Aug 2009     

serene
Greece

I think the correct preposition is on.
e.g. We say "On a cold night..."

11 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

In Spanish - yes, but on a night.... Or as Kylie would sing it: �On a night like this.... �

Anita

11 Aug 2009     

serene
Greece

You �re right ladybird, it doesn �t sound very natural. Perhaps it could be "a dream taking place on Saint John �s night".

11 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

A Saint John �s Night�s Dream... is what I would say... Smile

11 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

I had a dream on Saint John �s night.   or   On Saint John�s night I had a dream...

Remember Saint John�s is a date!! With dates we use on! On May 3rd, On April 17th... Smile

11 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Is the use of the preposition "in" correct? Should I use "at"?

joserik, I suggest on or, as Zora suggests, A Saint John �s Night�s Dream which, by the way, is closer to the structure of the original title.

Have a nice day (is it as hot there as it is here? Cool)

11 Aug 2009     

joserik
Spain

Thanks for your replies, but... Should I write "In Spanish, the title El Sue�o de una Noche de Verano cannot be considered an exact translation, since the original title doesn�t refer to a dream on any summer night, but a dream on Saint John�s night", then...? Wacko

11 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Yep!  Midsummer Night - St. John�s Eve,  summer solstice, according to Julian Calendar. 

11 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

The answer to your question joserik is, as nikadixon so poetically put it... "yes" Smile

11 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >