Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > I don ´t know what to do ...     

I don ´t know what to do ...

Ivona
Serbia

I don ´t know what to do ...

I feel the need to say out loud that i �m annoyed with all the birthday greetings appearing every day in the forum instead of the Victor-set-it-up-for-that cafe (i wonder if there �s a day in the year that isn �t one of the members � birthday; if there is, i can �t wait to celebrate it!).

I feel the need to say that I also hate the recurring topic on stuff being stolen, especially such a BIG deal being made out of it since 90% of the examples used in the ws are being taken from grammar books that someone else wrote.

I feel the need to say that it is annoying to see the same Qns being asked and answered over and over again. What is the point of saving the threads then??
Ahhhh, and then the cafe! With all the feline and canine pictures, with the lovey-dovey stuff, that it makes you wonder - is it really love?

I feel the need to say out loud and publicly that the forum is in a rut but do not dare for fear of retribution, so i �ll keep on biting my lip and keeping my fingers crossed (no, not for luck, but for the sake of keeping them away from the keyboard and, thus, preserving peace).

Yep, i think i �ll decide to bottle it all up ... but if i explode, don�t say i didn�t intend to warn you ...  Cool

EDIT: Do read the posts below (at least mine, since i started the thread) before you make a judgment or state your opinion.

EDIT 2: Lol, I feel the need to say that now that i�ve read what i wrote above really sounds Evil Smile. I do have a problem with all of the above, but not that Evil Smile. Ok?!?

14 Aug 2009      

jamiejules
France

please Ivona keep those fingers crossed it might get very very messy and you pc will suffer!Wink come on girl chill!!!! go outside and cut a few trees with a hand saw (you �ll see it calms nerves: I �ve been doing it for the last four days and apart from feeling like the incredible Hulk trapped in the body of a four foot nine teacher, I feel fine)

14 Aug 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Hello dear Ivona,

I �m glad that you presented your true feelings in the open, Ivona. You �ve always been clear and straightforward.

Well, we post our birthday messages in the forum, so that many teachers have the opportunity to celebrate and since the cafe is not much visited. I like the idea of celebrating our friends � birthdays because it give us the family sense .  Do you know that I �m waiting for my best friends � birthdays, so that I send them my wishes ?? Believe me, Ivy, I feel happy and amused. By the way, when is your birthday?? I´d like to wish u something special!!! Won´t u like the idea of many people wishing you the best in the world ??? Well, I do .

As for the recurring topics, you �re absolutely right about it. I have nothing to add. People here should search the threads before they approach any topic. But the fact is that some don �t have the time to search, and do it the easy way by asking in the forum. Others might not know how to search for the answers. I �m not excusing people, but trying to understand.

Ivona, I know that you don �t believe these canine pictures and the girly words we post in the cafe. I do understand why u do, but personally I do mean love and admiration and respect. It �s not lies or pretence.  These pictures express my most heartfelt wishes and emotions towards the persons that I love and respect. It �s maybe becoz of the screeen we �re sitting behind that we can �t meet personally. Well, I don �t send many such stuff to people I meet face to face. Thses pictures are very expresive . I don �t know if I made myself plain, dear.

As u can see, I listened to u when u told me about coloring my posts the suitable way. Why do you think I did it??? Is it that big thing if I colored or not?? Would it harm our site?? No!!
I did it becoz I respect you, love u, and don �t want to annoy you in any way possible. What do u say??Heart

Naughty friend, never bite your lips and never stay silent. You stir things up and we love it. You keep us alive and that �s why I admire you so much.

We �re not all alike , Ivy!!! Right? So, what �s the best way out?? 

Hugs and kisses to you ( I mean it and it �s all out of love Wink),
Nebal

14 Aug 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Hi Ivona..well what can I add? You expressed what has been in my mind for so long, but like you, for the sake of "peace to people of good will" I keep the zip on my lips. I agree with you on every point mentioned. And dear oh dear..imagine the HULK suggesting to hack down innocent little trees for four days (which the world is trying to preserve) for you to calm  your nerves tch tch tch...seems that it takes a long time for it to work anyway...so do not try it Ivona  hehehehe.LOL

I too think that wishes and big pictures should be posted in cafe (that is why Victor gave us that special space)...or failing that...pm the wishes if one feels the strong need to do so. Thankfully only 30 posts are allowed as I sometimes get "knuckle-cramp"  from scrolling to get to the end ...passing by pussycats and doggies etc. on the way.  But I love the pics of places. Just imagine if there were 80 posts!!!!  I would never get to the end. Wink
Anyway Ivona thank you for having the courage to speak you mind. You ARE well respected here as you will see from the above posts. People like honesty. If we could not express ourselves as we truly feel it would be awful. We may not always agree...but thats ok...it �s healthy to get things out in the open. Now THATS how you calm your nerves!SmileThanks again.
I can agree with Ladybird about being tolerant, We do need that virtue here.  Being tolerant is one thing...but having to surrender is something elseWink
CarolineHug

14 Aug 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

Hi girls!

Sorry if all that stuff bothers you (birthday wishes, cat and dogs � pictures), but I think most of us like and to be honest sometimes I do not like or feel interested in what others write (like jokes that only two persons understand and the majority of us don �t) ... so what? everybody is free to type whatever he/she wishes, as long as you do not offend anyone I mean... we are like a family and everytime someone wishes happy birthday to someone else I try to participate all the time because that does not annoy me, that is a little detail to say how much we care about each other in this community. That´s what people in communities do, right?

So, if our wish is to do so... and most of us like dogs, cats and birthday wishes I do not really know what the solution could be.

14 Aug 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Dear julieta...please do not misunderstand me. I too, think it is nice to send birthday wishes...but not on the Message Board.  Victor in his wisdom gave us the cafe for that and despite the fact that many of us do not post there I think it is a safe bet to say that most of us do visit it. Or we can pm. It is not that I dont like what people post...it is just that I wish that they would post in the proper place. Re the cats and dogs hehehehe...well I do think pics could be made a little smaller maybe. I admit that I am not a great cat-lover but I am crazy about dogs...small dogs Wink My main growl is really with people who refuse to go along with Victors suggestions to us. But again I am only expressing my own opinion and just needed to get it off my chest. Take care,
CarolineHug

14 Aug 2009     

Denisa
Romania

Well, ladies, you managed to ruin my evening!!!!! I do not understand why are you so bitter, so angry?? Just because some of us are trying to act like a big family(as we like to think we are) and share emotions, feelings(like affection, love, caring, friendship, joy, pride.....)  ????
In case you do not like these posts nobody asked you to join us! Just DO NOT ENTER THE CAFFE AND DO NOT READ OUR POSTS!
As for the Qns being asked over and over again - there could be some new people who do not know yet all the secrets of the site(how to use the toolbar, how to search for something.....) Were you such an expert when you first joined this community?? Well, maybe not everyone is.....

14 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Hi, Ivona! Which one are you in the avatar? The blue scarf or the red scarf? Are you sisters? Makes me think of my sister, who lives on the other side of the Atlantic. I haven �t been with her since 2007, nor with my nephews (one of them just came back from Iraq) my great-nieces, my mother and my in-laws. None of them could make it to my son�s funeral, last year, either. (enough of self- disclosure).

1. About Birthdays and space. I�m used to on-line threads. They are my research area. This community is one of a kind, for several reasons. It has MANY members. Most of them have never met and, most probably, never will. They need 1. To express their subjectivity, such as a) their feelings, using humour, irony, sometimes sarcasm; 2. to connect with others: how? Maintaining sequences, citing one another, referring explicitly or implicitly to other messages, asking questions, asking for others� opinions, challenging others; 3.to vinculate, like welcoming, greeting, using vocatives, icons, pictures, posting birthday wishes. I would love to write a research article on this community, if I were allowed. One of these days, I�ll ask permission: I�m currently working on the protocol (writing the letter to Victor).

As there is no way to bodytalk (did I create a new verb here? Sorry.) Everything must be written, which means more space needed. Should the pictures be smaller and take the normal space, as much as the space needed to show the avatar, the nickname and the flag? Maybe they should: this would imply one more rule to be set and controlled. Would one more rule have a positive impact? Would it be cost effective in terms of the members� reactions to the rule? What�s the affective/social cost of having one more rule?

2. About the same questions being asked over and over. New members usually don�t read the FAQ Section. There is always someone welcoming and helping them out. Everybody needs to be cuddled; the more there is, the more we ask for. How can this solved, then? With another rule that the older members should not respond? Who is ready for a helpdesk? Or ready for a monthly contribution to pay for the service? This community is based on collaboration.

3. About the forum being in a rut I didn�t understand exactly what you are referring to. Most of the issues with this particular forum are a result of the above conditions. If you are referring to its contents, what could the solution be? Assigning people to moderate the forum and come up with teaching issues every single day? (I would be ready to help, I mean� who else would?).I don�t think I understood. Could you clarify? Let�s define the problem to tackle it.

My intention here is to clarify. Or, at least, to put things in perspective and help you out with your anger. This means, since you can�t see me, I�m making an effort - in writing - to show you that I mean well with my post, which made me write another paragraph and hope for not causing an explosion here. Was I successful? How much computer anxiety on both sides - yours and mine - is responsible for it? Unfortunately, there is no Lab to put all this issues to boil and describe the experience. We have to LIVE IT and negotiate meaning. Now, I should add a few icons to replace bodytalk. I just say: you are so lively! When I saw your avatar back yesterday, I thought to myself: here comes the funny one! This is go�n�a�roll!

By the way: my name is Idalina, I�m 57 and I�ve been at the beach the whole day. I hope I�m not too computeranxious!

Could I, please, ask everybody to be assertive, here? Denise, who�s being bitter here? At least, go back to the thread and find some degrees of bitterness, will you? Where do you stand? Why do you see bitterness where some others just see some anger, and are trying to help, at the very most? Could some of the bitterness you see be only in your eyes? I�ll tell you what I see here: Ivona, the one who is a bit angry, J and LB trying to help, N  trying to cheer up, J saying she sees no solution to the problem.

14 Aug 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Dear Denisa...get a grip of yourself please. I am NOT angry at all...just suggesting that the Cafe should be used for the birthday wishes and pics as well as chit-chat. The Message Board is not the place for it. Victor gave us a nice place in which to do it. You say I am angry. Not at all..but you seem to have gone OTT with that reply..Please cool down and try to understand that all I am expressing is my own opinion. I am wise enough to know that not everybody will agree and thats ok.
CarolineHug

14 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

@ jamiejules
Thanks, but i found sth else to do. I battered meat! And, boy, did i hammer hard! LOL

@ laydbird
tolerance ... how about a little bit of tolerance towards us who do not really indulge in all of the above i mentioned? to find a middle way?

@ nebal
i have nothing against bday wishes, but i do against them being posted over and over again, every single day in the forum. i do realise that they make people happy, especially when the wishes come from all over the world, but partying every single day ... makes you tired of the partying. �same old � of anything makes it lose its meaning. eat chocolate every single day and see what happens. you know what i mean?
yes, we are not all alike, and as i said to ladybird, i believe that my opinion and wishes should count too, if we want to be a family. i don �t want to be the silenced child. and we all know what happenes with them, they go rebelious.

@ caroline
"people like honesty" ?!? from my experience it is the only thing that they cannot handle. you will hear people saying �i hate being lied to �. what they don �t say is �but i hate the truth even more �. they just can �t handle it. or as T.S. Eliot said "they cannot bear too much reality".

@ Julieta
"everybody is free to type whatever he/she wishes" .. that �s what i just did above

@ Denisa
"In case you do not like these posts nobody asked you to join us! Just DO NOT ENTER THE CAFFE AND DO NOT READ OUR POSTS!" If you �re trying to act like a big family, why are you not ready to listen to one of the family members who has some kind of a problem? If a family member disagrees with you, do you dismiss him/her or do you try to find a solution to the problem?
Btw, i �m not bitter, or embittered. I just expressed my opinion, or in this case �annoyance �. And the reason i said i had better bottle it all up is the exact one you displayed.
Oh, and i DID share an emotion, just like you and the others do. I don�t see anything wrong with that ...

@ nikadixon
I just saw your post, lol, and am going to read it before i say anything ... Wink

14 Aug 2009     

Caroline565
Australia

Thank you for your response Ivona. Yes all you did was to voice your opinion and you sure are entitled to do so. I find it strange to see that a person could get so angry with you (and me) for doing just that. But thats life I suppose and maybe someone was under stress of some kind and chose this way to release their anger!! ?? I dunnoShocked It �s the first time I have got the "punch" here and I �m still reelingLOL
Caroline. Hug

14 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    4    5    6    7    8    9    Next >