Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Concerning worksheets > Please... please... *begging*    

Please... please... *begging*

Tint
South Africa

Please... please... *begging*

So often I download a worksheet and there are errors in the text. That isn�t a problem. I make mistakes too. The problem is that these worksheets are just one big image!! I can�t correct the error, which is often minor, so the whole worksheet goes into the recycle bin Unhappy

Yes, I know I can edit the image in an image program, but by the time I�ve done that, I might as well design the worksheet myself from scratch.

I can�t think of any good reason why the entire worksheet needs to be one large image. Worksheets can be condensed in size or even split into two if need be.

To me, the members who create worksheets like this are doing themselves (and other teachers) a disservice by putting out worksheets that can�t be edited.

16 Aug 2009      

eng789
Israel

I agree with you,  I think that we should be able to edit the wss that are uploaded here to suit our own needs.

16 Aug 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

I also agree with you, I think everybody should create editable worksheets, it is a problem when you cannot adapt it into your needs or correct mistakes, good point of discusion =)

16 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Usually when the whole worksheet is one unit, it is because it has been lifted from somewhere.  It is copied and pasted as a picture.

Hugfrom Israel.

Judy

16 Aug 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

Hi,
I agree that worksheets that are not editable are a problem. Very often something needs to be changed to fit my class. Not always mistakes, often simply vocabulary (pants instead of trousers, eraser in stead of rubber etc.). 
I do not agree with the statement that image files are copies... I have uploaded a scanned sheet for a very simple reason... I had really great stickers with pictures of cellphones and computers, on the net I couldn �t find anything nearly that appropriate so when I finished my Word sheet on e-language I printed it, added the stickers, scanned it with the stickers and uploaded it here as an image file. (It happens to be my most downloaded sheet. :) Scanning a file is also a very easy way to reduce its size since it creates a resizable jpeg file you can then insert again in word.... Soooo, image files are not necessarily copies from books or stolen but I agree they are a problem!
I think it would be a good idea to mention in the info about the printables that it is not editable.
I remember this suggestion has been voiced at the forum before! It is a small effort and saves a lot of frustration.
By the way, I �ll share a strategy I have used a few times with printables that weren �t editable; I insert a textbox (before text-no line) and try to get as close to the font used in the original and just change things like that. It isn �t perfect but it works...
Marion

16 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

Marion, I did say usually, not always. 

I think you suggestion to edit uneditable worksheets is a good one.

Judy

16 Aug 2009     

vanda51
Portugal

Hi dear Tint

At first I�d like to give you a good reason why some of my printables are not editable... Unfortunately we have a limit file size on this site It is not difficult when we just work with text and one or two clipart... but when you are working with a lot of graphics ...Microsoft word is not good enough for that very reason we have to use Microsoft publisher, Corel Print Office or similar software... and paste it as a single image in word files... That doesn�t mean the printable "has been lifted from somewhere"... Is this an acceptable reason for you?

Secondly It just takes 1 minute to copy the image file to paint and correct the mistake. I can assure� to design the worksheet  from scratch  always takes (at least for me) more than two hours so I have to say how much I admire you for doing it in  so little time...

Finally I don�t understand why you have to delete your files just because they have a mistake... here is a suggestion�. send a private message to the author.. I am sure that he / she will promptly correct the mistake and send the corrected file by e-mail as I always do! Doing this you are giving the author a chance to correct and update the printable and I think that is more correct than post in the forum that the printables have mistakes which is perfectly normal, in my opinion...

I hope now you can understand why there are so many non- editable printable here

Regards

Vanda

16 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Judy - that is not true that many make their wss in one image because they have lifted them from somewhere else.

Katiana taught me to do this because, and as Vanda said, it makes the worksheet "lighter" and also the images don �t move all over the place.

Vanda �s idea of writing to the author is a good idea. I have tried to edit in my paint shop pro program and I can �t always find the right font or align the text so that it is even.

For everyone - we all should check our materials twice before uploading just to make sure.
We don �t always have to be in such a rush to upload - do we? Embarrassed

16 Aug 2009     

_babz
Canada

you can �t have your cake and eat it too....

ever since I started using Windows Vista, all my new worksheets surpass the 300 kb limit, and I �ve tried everything to reduce the size of the file (like compress images)

so the solution for some of the sheets, was to use print screen and paint....and actually I like this too cause it sort of protects my work...

when you photocopy a sheet from a textbook...is that any more editable??? NO

if teachers in here are so concerned and so picky about the quality of the sheets they get, maybe they should start creating their own sheets....

eslprintables is a service, not a perfect one, but a practical one, if there are mistakes and the sheet is worth correcting, than correct it! rather than complain about it....

my 2 cents..

16 Aug 2009     

elderberrywine
Germany

@tbabz:
you said:
"if teachers in here are so concerned and so picky about the quality of the sheets they get, maybe they should start creating their own sheets...."

But you must have forgotten:
Teachers can �t download anything here unless they have created and posted their own worksheets and unless these worksheets have been appreciated by others.

I don �t see them as being picky. I even resented Tint using the word "begging" in the title of this thread. Members are asking for things, suggesting things, and there is nothing wrong with that.
In another thread several members said that they spend a very long time taking pictures and colour out of the worksheets they download because for some reason they can �t use these colourful and pictureful worksheets for their students. Nothing wrong with that either.

I upload my worksheets in order for them to be downloaded, and if people tell me certain features make life harder for them or omitting certain features would make life easier for them I �ll certainly give that a thought.  In a way they are also my "clients" as I WANT them to download and enjoy my worksheets. I can´t share this "be grateful for what you´re getting" attitude really.

Dorothea

16 Aug 2009     

nhlrhn
Turkey

I �m a new user and I have difficulties in reducing the size of my ws. The best way for me is using paint and reducing the size of a ws as a whole picture. I love this web-site and almost everone �s work so I do not mind whether the ws is editable or not. I download when it is useful and nicely done by spending time on it. At this point I completely agree with vanda51 and tbabz.

And yes libertybelle is right  "everyone should check their worksheets before uploading it" But when you miss something we have comments box right? Why not use it for this purpose and help people improve their wss.

The very thing I feel uncomfortable here is the discussion about the same topic. When I read your ideas I hesitate to upload my work as I think few people care anyway.

Hugs from Turkey
Nihal :)

16 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >