Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Ask for help > IRREGULAR VERBS TABLE    

IRREGULAR VERBS TABLE

Denisa
Romania

IRREGULAR VERBS TABLE

Hello to you all! I have a question: based on your experience what would you say- which is the most effective way to make students to learn the forms of the irregular verbs(especially the past participle form)??

18 Aug 2009      

gloriawpai
Brazil

Use games such as memory game, bingo, boardgames, flashcards;
Crosswords, maze as well. And repeat several times in different ways.

18 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

First, avoid forcing learning these verbs by heart.
Use game like activities. Micah has very interesting WS here.
Try to give as much irregular verbs as possible in any of the activities you give and especially in test/exam activities. I personally avoid giving special activities for this in the tests. I do it indirectly through the comprehension question, more in the grammar activities (E.g.: When dealing with passive active I try to give as many sentences with irregular verbs as possible)

EDIT: Sorry for the typo

18 Aug 2009     

miss K.
Ukraine

In one book the author  Pyltsynsuggests to use rhymes for learning irregular verbs! These rhymes are in native language of a students but the las 3 words of each line are forms of an irregular verbs. They rhyme with the last three words in the newxt line. for example, think-thought -thought, catch-caught-caught, buy-bought- bought rhyme really well. My stidents enjoed this kind of learning. 

18 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

We play a circle game: students stand in circle and each of them has to say a verb (we decide the tense beforehand) and mimes it. The first one says the verb and mimes it, the second student repeats his friend �s verb, acts it and then he/she adds his/her own, etc.
It �s great fun because those who don �t remember the chain of verbs have to go out, but they want to come back and play! I allow them to enter the circle again after one round and from the point they like!
Thumbs Up

18 Aug 2009     

emila
Turkey

Hello Denisa,

It can be really hard to teach the irregular verbs.I want to talk about my way about teaching irregular verbs.

Each student chose a verb.They made cards in different shapes whatever they wanted and they pinned them writing three forms of it on their shirts.(some of them made flower,stars,bird,sun,smiling faces�.)When they handed up anything,first they said their verbs and acted it and then answered the questions.I made this because peripheral learning works very well.When they talked to each other,they began to learn without aware.(If your class isn�t crowded,it can work well.you can also choose a verb and pin it on your shirt)

This year I�m planning to make game using the kinder surprise egg boxes.I will put the verbs in each of them and in  another box,it will be its past or participle form.At last 10 minutes is enough for this game everyday.

I try to make a rap song Big smileabout it.I�m not sure how I can be successful!(I wish I were a composer).

Go went gone,

Do did done,

Run ran run.

(and a word in your mother language rhyme with them)

I began like this but I don�t know the rest�..Unhappy)

And also Alenka�s crosswords are great helper for teaching irregular verbs.My students liked them too much.I hope I can be helpful for you.

18 Aug 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Denisa!

Have you seen this?

Hugs
serene

18 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Hi, Denisa! I love stories! For extensive reading. Tons of  exc material on this site. I came up with abridging some more, but one of them was caught in Aunt Victoria �s tool. Got another one I also abridged  from a Native American story, but too big to upload here: I �m just not into it downsizing it. Got Thumbelina with lovely illustrations, I pay much attention to the quality of illustrations, but there are more here, just look for them . I could email the ones I have to you(mine), not other members� stuff as you may understand,  if you provide email address (privately). I�m mostly speaking of traditional stories, meant for children. There is one on this site that I love. Firstly, because it was, I guess, Eastern traditional story , secondly because it had a beautiful illustration. Look for it. It´s called DUCK SOUP. I´ve got it here, with the author´s name and all, BUT NO TIME TO LOOK FOR IT. I don�t know how old your students are.  

Exc stuff on-line, too. Interactive exercises. Got them on-line, on moodle. I �ll get to it when I can make some time, OK?

There are some members with instructions to enter my stuff on moodle, but I just can�t  go over all the p.m. If someone shows, feel free to send pm to Denisa, please. Sooooooorry, I �m in a hurry here. Give me ten days from now, and I�ll send whatever I got (netlinks, above all).
 All the others, mariannina, serene Serene and others,  forgive me for not responding.Cool

18 Aug 2009     

Denisa
Romania

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND AND USEFULL SUGGESTIONS!
FAR FROM ME THE IDEA TO FORCE THEM TO LEARN BY HEART ALL THE VERBS! I JUST WANTED TO CHECK MY METHODS AND TO IMPROVE THEM, WONDERING IF YOU DISCOVERED THE BEST WAY TO DO THIS WITH THE MOST EFFICIENT RESULTS!

THANK YOU!
DENISA

18 Aug 2009     

lyny
Mexico

Hi Denisa, first I teach them in present by flashcards. I show the pics and behind the names.
then I ask each verb and ss. begin to produce. later we play a lottery five times, and then we play a domino with pictures one side and names the other side. Then they have practice with present simple.
To learn simple past they only play domino one side present and the other one simple past so they practice with negative and questions in past tense.
For past participle I write in a domino present and s. past and in the other one ss. look for past pasrticiple (I updownled in my eslprintables so you can get much better the idea, but it is not the one with pictures).
Hope you got what I mean.�
This way my ss. learn the verbs for good and they don �t have to learn them by heart.
Hugs

18 Aug 2009     

douglas
United States

Some great ideas here, thanks.  One thing I do suggest to my students is that when they do say the trios (i.e. "cut, cut, cut") that they add have to the participle ("cut, cut, have cut").  It seems to help them tie the right form to the "have" during normal converstaion without having to think about it first.

Douglas 

"eat, ate, have eaten"

"get, got, have gotten" Wink (USA-gotten, GB-got)

18 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >