Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > WHAT MAKES A GREAT STUDENT...    

WHAT MAKES A GREAT STUDENT...

anitarobi
Croatia

WHAT MAKES A GREAT STUDENT...

Hi, everybody!
Some of you might remember my post here some weeks ago about what makes a great teacher. I was thinking of asking my teenage sts to write something about this at the beginning of school year, but I would also, even more, like to have them write about what they think teachers expect from them, what teachers think makes a great st... I would have them work on it in pairs, then read everything aloud, but I would also like to be able to provide them with a list of things you, teachers from all over the world, different ages and cultures, what you think makes a great student! I think it would be very interesting for them, to see how much they guessed, and to see their faces when some reasons surprise them (and I bet there will be those as well). If you would like to share your thoughts with me here, or pm me, I would be very grateful...
So, what, in your opinion, makes a great student?
Anita

18 Aug 2009      

Portugal

I �m in a hurry, here, couldn �t resist on this topic though, Anita.

This is what I make of it:

Middle-class (high class sometimes neglects school; longing for class improvement, middle class invest more on school); intelligent (no doubt), hardworking, persistent, self-regulated, not too much centred on results, centred on learning instead (it�s going to pay off long term), good self-esteem, good study skills. This is what came to my mind and fingers right away.

Kiss and hugs.

Idalina

PS: If you bring the subject some 10 days from now, I �ll be ready to roll!

I feel like crying hereCryCryCry. My today�s post on reasoning and argumentation is already GONE! Got up at 5:38 to post!

Something should be done about this forum. It took me a while to come up with some suggestions, but nobody cared!(stop it right there,  whinyNikadixon!)

Thanks, for responding, though, Anita and Jayho. You folks, are a MUST!Clap

Edit: there are more girls here,  getting to College than boys. Why should that be? Lad culture? Mostly female teachers? Better language skills? I just left this hint for BOYS to come with some exp. Come on, boys!!!

18 Aug 2009     

portugueseteacher
Portugal

For me, a great student is someone who really does an effort to  achieve in School ...

This can be done in various ways:he or she can participate, invest time and dedication in a sc, show lots of enthousiam and of course  willingness to learn!!

Also a great student should be responsible and curious....Thumbs Up

18 Aug 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

For me, a great student is the one who is interested in lots of subjects and makes an effort to participate during the class, who tries to comunicate in the language I teach , even if he is not able to say everything.

18 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

A great student is  prepared, attentive, dedicated, willing to try, self-disciplined, responsive and teachable.  Many kids here are arrogant about their English skills and feel that even the native speakers can �t teach them anything (maybe it is not just the kids Wink).  I have a girl who is number one in her form out of over 250 kids.  She is a joy to teach because I know she is always ready to learn. However, now that she has discovered Facebook it is not the case (but she is still number one). lol  Most of my kids fall into this category and I am very thankful for that.  Odd how they are all girls. HMMM

18 Aug 2009     

Nebal
Lebanon

Dear Anita,
As Nika, I couldn �t resist stepping by and sharing in ur ususually interesting topics.

I �ve always thought that there exist different necessary traits that students should embrace to be great.

Generally speaking,  great students , in my opinion, are not always the ones who get high grades. If these very clever students don´t �t show the qualities below , then they are not   .

Self disciplined ( They think about their words and actions before taking any step. They also follow the rules , respect the time, and accept the fact that they can �t hit it right all the time.)

Hardworking ( They stick to something until it is finished. )
Responsible ( They are dependable and make good choices. They take good care of their friends and their own possessions.)
Trustworthy  and honest ( They can be depended upon to do right things even if they were alone and without their teacher �s guidance. They are very truthful and never cheat even if it �s for their own sake.)
Respectful ( They never hurt their own collegues verbally or physically and treat them the way they want to be treated in return.)
Fair ( They take turns, share , and listen to their friends. They give others their chances , abide by the rules and work to make their classroom a better place.)
Helpful and compassionate ( They  love their own friends and are always there to give them a hand when needed.)

But, the big question is : Can you find all these traits in one student to consider him a great one??? If yes, then you are a lucky teacher.

Have a lovely day,
Nebal

18 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Nice ,Nebal. Clap

18 Aug 2009     

anitarobi
Croatia

Dear colleagues, thanks for the great answers so far - I �m still hoping for more, though, because it �s interesting how some of you have similar and some different points to mention... I agree with all of you, a great st is a mixture of all these great spices. I would also add CHALLENGING - I love sts like that, sts who remember your words and remind you of them if you yourself (willingly or unwillingly) try to cross them (in a slightly cheeky, yet totally respectful way); sts who make me want to prepare even better for class, to do some more research and not just rely on my old knowledge.
Yes, Nebal, I agree, a very clever st without the necessary emotional qualities does not make a great st in my book. And yes, I am proud to say I �ve had great students, and I have them every year. (Some of them are parents already, some of them even teachers!!!)What I especially like about them is how (inadvertently and unaware of it) they actually gather the others around themselves and set things into a positive motion - it �s like a special vibe they bring to a classroom. Sometimes it needs time to awake, sometimes it comes quickly, but the worst part for me is when a st like that has to leave my classes for any objective reason - I feel like a part of me is going away.
Please, everybody, do join in and add your opinions. No opinion is unimportant, no matter how big or small your teaching experience may be.
Anita
PS: Thanks again for all the answers so far...

18 Aug 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi, I agree with Nebal.

To me a good student is simply one who is curious about the world around him/her and wants to learn and therefore lets himself be guided by the teacher. These type of students are a pure delight, you can talk to them and they listen, they ask questions, want to know more about whatever it is they are learning.

To me everyone learns differently, some teachers prefer students that are hard workers, always do their homework, never talk in class or cause disruptions. But for me it�s different, if I see that enthusiasm in a student´s eyes, that they are interested and want to learn, they have caught me forever... literally. I love people who are curious and want to know more, they challenge me as a teacher and I love it...

18 Aug 2009     

Portugal

Quote:
Helpful and compassionate ( They  love their own friends and are always there to give them a hand when needed.)

I �m not so sure about this one, but I wonder I just want to pick on sweetie.
Hyperspace  harassment from auntie, here!Evil SmileEvil Smile
Could be coming after you later!!!

18 Aug 2009     

miss K.
Ukraine

A great student is the one who always does homework and respects the teacher.
It �s great when st catches everyting so easily but it �s not always the case. A student willing to learn and work hard, the who �s making efforts to learn is also great. Hard work pays off!

18 Aug 2009     

1    2    3    Next >