Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > POWER POINT - MOST POWERFUL TOOL IN THE HANDS OF TEACHERS    

POWER POINT - MOST POWERFUL TOOL IN THE HANDS OF TEACHERS

HOLYMARY_852
India

POWER POINT - MOST POWERFUL TOOL IN THE HANDS OF TEACHERS

It is disappointing to note that only a handful of teachers use the Power Point as a tool for teaching their students. Of course, it involves a lot of time to make good and effective powerpoint slides, but once they are prepared, they are very useful as teaching tool because of the graphics, animations and sounds which can be incorporated therein. Let �s hope that more and more teachers learn and use this tool to teach their students. Teachers on our web can help each other to become trained in this application. I hope everyone should like this suggestion.

22 Aug 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

Why don �t you make a power point to teach us how to make good power points?Wink

22 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

Hey Spagman

Here is a link to Gabitza �s worksheet on how to make ppt games!
It �s fabulous!

http://www.eslprintables.com/printable.asp?id=239415#thetop

22 Aug 2009     

ilona
Costa Rica

I use e.m converter to convert power points  into videos and I teach easily using this tool. 

22 Aug 2009     

Tint
South Africa

Holymary, a very large proportion of the teachers here simply don �t have the facilities to use Powerpoints in classrooms. Believe me, if I could, I would (or maybe I won �t LOL). Yes, I can convert the highly colourful Powerpoints to Word documents for printing, but with the effort that takes and the minimal information that usually gets put onto each slide, I might as well just stick to downloading Word docs. I do download the occasional Powerpoints though... if they are really good. 

22 Aug 2009     

discretissime
France

I �m like you, stexstme! No CD/DVD/video player in my classroom! I do have a blackboard, though! Tongue

22 Aug 2009     

manonski (f)
Canada

Holymary, I believe the most powerful tool in a classroom is... the teacher, not a PowerPoint.
Only a teacher knows what works best for their students.
I agree that PowerPoint is a great tool but it �s just that, a tool, like any other gadget we bring in a classroom. It depends on how we use it and why we use it.

22 Aug 2009     

mariannina
Italy

Well, I start teaching with...nothing and then I have my school children build their tools (flashcards, worksheets, etc). After that I use acting, that children love, finally I use anything I know and modern methodology suggests me to use, power points included.
Btw, my school has received computers for each student only this year! I �ve always used my own laptop in my classes Unhappy

22 Aug 2009     

libertybelle
United States

To be honest - I find it hard to work in the dark!Cool

The most important thing in the classroom IS the teacher!
I so agree with you Manonski

Hugs
L

22 Aug 2009     

MarionG
Netherlands

I am so happy to hear there are more teachers out there who do not have computers etc. to work with!! Sometimes when I see the photos uploaded or the ideas suggested I really feel we are so backward here and we need to provide all the visual input ourselves!! (so I agree with you libertybelle, besides the students, WE are the most important facility!)
We have no computers, no internet connection to hook up your own computer  and I don �t have a laptop either so bringing my own into school is no option ...
If we want to use audio or video we need to ask for one of the school disc players (the english team doesn �t have their own) and I think there are two tv �s with a dvd player for the entire school so that needs to be reserved in advance.
And still, our kids learn English as well! We must be amazing!

Actually lately I have mastered the art of downloading You tube videos and burning them onto dvd, so i can - if i order the tv in time, and manage to drag it down to my classroom and blind the room enough which is hard with only pastel colored, lace curtains :) - show clips and fragments in class!! For a last lesson before the summer I showed them clips for all the songs we learned in class and that felt like an enormous technological and organizational feat! (not to forget disciplinary feat since there were 56 kids sitting in a badly blinded room in front of one regular sized tv screen!)

So yes, i would love to learn to make powerpoints, and would love to let my students play around on wonderful sites such as enchanted learning, starfall, wizkids, or british council but for now it is just me, my singing and acting skills and my multicolored white board markers!

22 Aug 2009     

Ivona
Serbia

PP, as well as any other resource used in the classroom, can be either useful or not, depending on how it is created and how it is used.
The good thing about it is that it meets the needs of the ss who have the visual / spatial intelligence (and most of them do) so that things are a lot clearer (re grammar or vocabulary). The bad thing, from MY point of view, is that it interrupts the dynamic and the S-T interaction i usually create in class when the SS� eyes are directed at me.
I used a PP a couple of times and the SS loved it, but i myself felt ... would i exaggerate if i said i felt as if i had lost them (the SS)? Maybe i just haven
�t found a way yet, but there�s time ... Oh, i have 2 vids of my first PP presentation on Native Americans and past simple. I had 3 different classes of 5th graders, and with every class that followed i could correct the mistakes and perform a lot better ... Here you go:
negatives 5 1
Mem game 5 2

22 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >