Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > how to deal with........(please help!)    

how to deal with........(please help!)

_babz
Canada

how to deal with........(please help!)

other teachers.......

I love teaching, I love preparing my classes, unfortunately, I hate working with others...

Am I the only one?

Why do some teachers insist on teaching exactly the same way as their peers...I am currently in this type of situation, in which, the colleague wants to do everything alike, yet wants to change everything, every year ( � �I was thinking maybe we should change � �)

And the worse part is, has nothing to change for.....just wants to...but has no will or know-how to bring forth any creative ideas..

Is there anybody else that has this problem, cause for me, it �s just annoying -

Any advice would be great...

ps: no, I �m not set in my ways, if it ain �t broken don �t fix it...and if it needs fixing than do it yourself....

27 Aug 2009      

MyFairy
Argentina

Dear tbabz,
I feel exactly the same... I used to start the year with a new partner and willing to work together, but discovered that the only one with creative ideas was me...  the other person was ALWAYS depending on my plans, my activities and original ideas... and that was quite a big issue in my job. I ended up furious and really angry with my partner... and we stopped talking to each other...
Until I met my last partner, and on the very first day I told her... "some people might say I am difficult to work with, but the truth is that I am very devoted and I love working well. I love working with creative material, authentic stuff, and I will share it with you as long as you promise to work with the same effort and commitment!" And you know what? IT WORKED WONDERS!!!
We plan the year together, share activities but do not do exactly the same thing. So, we don �t get exhausted of one another and we learn from the other...
The most important thing I always object is that we cannot rely on the other person �s activity, because her plans were aimed at a certain group. Each teacher has her own style, and each group has their own characteristics... it is very difficult to use somebody else �s ideas when they were aimed at something different. do you agree?

Do not feel alone... You are not the only one! ! !

Try to use my technique... HONESTY from the very beginning!!!

GOOD LUCK!
Euge

27 Aug 2009     

_babz
Canada

thanks so much Euge....you described my situation as well..

I �m gonna take you advice and be straightforward...and if that doesn �t work...I �m gonna tell him to �go fly a kite �

27 Aug 2009     

reeta1
Canada

I taught for five years and never had a decent teaching partner.  there are some teachers who want you to do all the work, so they can take  your stuff and not plan anything themselves. Tell your teacher partner it �s his/her turn to plan the creative lesson this week, and sit back and wait for him/her to deliver it. He �ll realize that he had better come up with a lesson or he �s going to be winging it. He/she �ll realize that he/her had better do some of the work, too.

27 Aug 2009