Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Make suggestions, report errors > Suggestions for Changes    

Suggestions for Changes

shadowsinner
Japan

Suggestions for Changes

Hi all,

I �m a new member at this site, and have not yet used this site, until now. However, I �m finding this site a little difficult to use. I �m not sure if I am the only one, and I �m sure this site is very useful for those who are used to this system, but for me, it �s proving to be quite a chore.

First of all, everyone must make a contribution before they �re allowed to download. That �s fair enough, but I think it �s a bit strict - the site would probably attract a lot more users if everyone could sign up and automatically get 3 points or something to start them off with. We all need to learn to walk before we can run, right?

Secondly, I just tried to upload a printable and failed, and when checking why, realised that with the little graphics on it, it is more than the allowed 299KB stipulated quota. However, by modern standards, 299KB is really quite difficult to achieve. I mean, look at all the examples around us. Graphic files are getting bigger and bigger, cameras have more and more pixel count on their sensors (my current camera takes 15MegaPixel-sized photos) and making files even bigger, etc. That �s the trend at the moment, and a 299KB limit is really strict - considering that �s even less than the allowable limit for sending an email from my mobile phone!!

So now I �ll have to minimise every one of the 15 or so graphics and redo them in the document etc. before I �m allowed to share it - but we have to share before we can download - and I �d need to download before a class if I wanted to use something that someone else has put up on the site for sharing.

The truth is, all teachers are time-poor. We would all like a week to prepare for great lessons, but we seldom have that luxury. That �s what makes internet-based sharing such a great idea. However, with all the restrictions, I �m unlikely to ever use this site, because I just don �t have that time to make all graphics nice and small, redo them if I have to, redo documents for the web, upload to share, etc. That would take days, and I don �t have days. Somedays I don �t even have minutes.

I WANT to share but I �m limited in what I can share. Maybe I �ll just upload a recent bingo sheet I made, but that �s ridiculous. I have created some awesome sheets for my primary schools that the kids love - but I won �t be able to share them, because I don �t have time to redo all the graphics.

Well, there you go, that �s my two cents � worth. I �ll go make my own worksheet now instead of downloading another similar one I saw on the site because I �m new on this site and I can �t download yet - but I can �t upload previous worksheets I �ve made because of file size restrictions, which means resizing all the graphics first. Instead of resizing, I might as well go make myself the worksheet I wanted to use for my class. Both will take time, but I think making my own might be faster.

Thanks for reading, and take care,
Cat

27 Aug 2009      

cauffeypot
Albania

You have the same complaint as everyone else who starts off on this site. It can be very frustrating because unless someone downloads your worksheet, you can �t do anything. If it wasn �t for some very nice membersn on this site, I would be in the same boat. So if you have a worksheet, I am going to pay it forward and help you to access this site. It �s a great site once you break into the club!

27 Aug 2009     

patrenou
Argentina

Dear Cat,

stop whining, please. What about having a positive attitude ?Thumbs Up This site is an incredible tool for thousands of teachers. Can we all be wrong? Do you think we don�t rush as much as you do? But we realize that at ESL printables our really  hard and difficult work is a coin for trading  and it is recognized  when it is worth. And we grow even fonder of this site when members praise your work and when they challenge you to learn new things( as using power points or making online exercises) And they show you how to do it!
And you get happy when you see an incredible  worksheet made by another member and you congratulate her or him for this piece of art  or the incredible idea. Here we have  a place where teachers from all over the world, with different access to resources, experience, and ways of teaching choose to share not only their material but their ideas about teaching as well. Isn�t it suitable for you?  Ok ,  you are welcome  not to join the site. But as I see things you really have spare time if you can write  such a long  complaint letter.
                                                     I hope someday you will learn the joy of sharing,   
                                                                                                                                   Pat

27 Aug 2009     

cauffeypot
Albania

That �s really welcoming to a potential new member. No wonder people complain bitterly about this site, when there are such rude people who won �t even offer to help them get started or offer a polite suggestion. If you want to eb rude, take it somewhere else. Remember, Shadowsinner, this member may be a disgruntled member of the "exclusive club" but there are some really nice  members on here who won �t cut you down. Don �t give up, yet.  

27 Aug 2009     

patrenou
Argentina

We  ALL had to face  the same proble as you do  now  and it�s not an exclusive  club. As you can see I don�t have  many points  and every point I get  is  due to sharing worksheets I do  for my pupils. As you can see they are not great in presentation as I am not skilled in using graphics, but I suppose they are worth as I think of them for being useful for my pupils.

27 Aug 2009     

JulietaVL
Mexico

cauffeypot: you seem to have a problem with the site... always complaining or doing things which are not allowed, if you do not feel pleased with the site you always have the option of leaving... do not make newcomers feel like this is the worst site becasue it isn�t... ok?

shadowsinner: I suggest to take the time to know the site... do not listen to bad advice, I love the site, I learnt little by little how this works, your suggestion of getting some free download when registering sounds nice!! I hope Victor can read the suggestion. Welcome and hope you want to stay ! =)

27 Aug 2009     

Gia Mel
Chile

Just send whatever you can, somebody will thank you for that in no time. I thought my worksheets were lousy but I �ve been proven wrong by these great people here who have downloaded some of them and have given me some advises too.

By the way, thank you people! I started with no points and I have very few now, but it made me happy to know that somebody liked what I did... :-)

Just in case, I don �t have many pictures on the workshets because I teach young adults... Sorry!!!

Thanks to everybody that have shared with me (I �ve downloaded some worksheets and they are great)  :-)

27 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

By us when someone enters a community, he has to adapt himself to this community and not the inverse. It is not well seen when he tries to criticise while he is still at the door.

So, get in, try to get used to the place and then if you have good ideas to improve things, I am sure they will be welcomed.

This site has an owner who pays for it and the space it consumes on the server. He is trying to make as suitable as possible. But this owner, if you don �t know it, is just a teacher like you and me.

If the limitations of the site don �t suite you, you can always get to another. There are thousands here, a lot of whom since many years, who just find it all right the way it is.

Regards!

27 Aug 2009     

cauffeypot
Albania

I �m not going to sit back and watch people write hurtful and mean comments about people who have come to this site looking for help or to share their work, the they get told off that they �re whining or that they should leave! The door is wide open, feel free to walk right through it and don �t look back! Ha! How do you like it?

27 Aug 2009     

cauffeypot
Albania

Shadowsinner, you criticize all you want! It �s a free country, most of them!

27 Aug 2009     

goodnesses
Algeria

@ patrenou , JulietaVL , Gia Mel , don �t forget that there are people just specialized in CYBER-BULLYING because they just don �t know what to do in/with their lives.

Good night you respectable members, this was discussed many times before and it is over.

27 Aug 2009     

1    2    Next >