Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Message board > Personal Notes during the Session and Teacher ´s Measures    

Personal Notes during the Session and Teacher ´s Measures

Nebal
Lebanon

Personal Notes during the Session and Teacher ´s Measures

Hello dear teachers,

If it happened that you spot a student writing a personal note during the session. what measures do u take as a teacher???

Would you read it aloud before his/her classmates , would you punish the student, or would you let it pass and give him another chance??

If you chose the punishment, what kind of punishment would you choose??

I need to know your opinions, dear teachers. Come on!!!

All the best,
Nebal

29 Aug 2009      

miss K.
Ukraine

Please, don ´t read it before the class (the content may make you feel uncomfortable). How about asking student to stop writing, or give it to you to keep to the end of the lesson when st can get it back, or take from student and throw it away in litter bin?

29 Aug 2009     

missveronica
Argentina

I ´d normally take it and tell the stds that I ´ll read it in front of the class. But not do it, just to play wth them :)
Then, they ´d probably come to me to tell me sth about the content.
Normally? I have fun with them about it and keep it telling them that if it were to happen again everybody would know the content :)
If the mss is either agressive or deals with a personal problem I ´m more careful and deal with it privately

29 Aug 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

� generally take it until the end of the lesson.  I used to wad it up and throw it in the waste can but I noticed that that created resentment towards me.  It is a very extreme action.  It is disrespectful on the part of the S to be doing that.  It used to be that everyone could get a good laugh from the note being read in class,especially if it was a love note.  Now, you would probably get reprimanded for invading the privacy of the student if you read it aloud. HA! What a world we live in!  It all boils down to how you want to come across. 

29 Aug 2009     

serene
Greece

Hi Nebal,
I ´ll never read the note out loud in front of the class. Actually, I won ´t even interrupt the lesson. Most often just a slight gesture or a meaningful glance is enough for the student to stop doing that. Of course it depends on the age of the students (mine are 16 to18 year-old teenagers) and on whether you have already had enough time to build a sound relationship with them. In the case of a new student I usually also have to talk to him privately during the break. All in all I think it ´s a matter of creating an atmosphere of mutual respect in the classroom.
All the best
serene 

edit: I won´t even take the note or read it for myself. 

29 Aug 2009     

class centre
Belarus

once a year I make a special lesson for writing personal notes. I work as a postman ( postwoman), pretend that I do not read what they write, give them a piece of help if they ask for, carry the mail from one place to another, give advice on how to express their feelings etc.  Everything is supposed to be written in English. They LOVE it so much. So, during  an ordinary lesson they have no time to think of their private things. Hope it can help.
Of course, I would never never ever read the note aloud for the class!
Have a nice Sunday!

29 Aug 2009     

JudyHalevi
Israel

I don ´t ever read anything to the whole class.  It is humiliating and disrespectful.  I tell the class at the beginning of the year that if they want to tell a friend something, they can jot it down on a piece of paper and then tell their friend after class.  If I catch a note being passed, I take it and give it back after the lesson.  If I see a student passing a note, and it is a good student who seldom does things like that, I won ´t even mention it. 

I also walk around the class all the time, which makes it very difficult for students to write notes, etc.

Hugfrom Israel

Judy

29 Aug 2009     

totya ( F )
Palestine

hi Nebal,

This depends on the student. The glance is enough for some students. With others I may take it , put it in my book then return it to the student at the end of the lesson.  But sometimes I take it and tell the student that I want to talk to her after the lesson.
I think every teacher knows her students and how they think.

29 Aug 2009     

Adel A
Egypt

Dear Nebal:
First don ´t warry about such  situations .It ´s natural to find some situations which may annoy us as teachers.I advise you to be quiet and cool enough .Never exaggerate the matter.Try to be a friend to all of your ss.Assign some laws for your class .Use a suitable way to reinforce your ss for example write the name of  the best student in a board call it honour board or use the points by giving the ss cards and the best ss will take a point the best one will take win a free trip and the least one will be deprived from the PE class.But,never show disrespect to any of your ss.In such a case talk to your s individually.Finally you can achieve the hard formula by being firm and fair.
wishing you a distingushed career
Adel

29 Aug 2009     

Denisa
Romania

Well, Nebal dear, hard job - being a teacher! (I ´m sure you already know that)..
As Serene said the best thing to do is to set benefic atmosphere of mutual respect..but they are kids, and they are different... so I think a teacher should know very well his/her students and the reaction in unpleasant situations should be graded: you may choose to be firm(but not agressive), to take attitude in a soft manner(take the note and throw it down without mention the incident) or simply just disregard it..
I remember I took once this kind of message and I noticed it contained some grammatical errors..after the lesson the student came to talk to me trying to explain his behaviour..we disscussed and end up laughing about the errors he had made ..but I applied a punishement to him: he had to write down the note(correctly this time) for another three times(and some time later he told me that he would never make those mistakes again - the rules will "stick" to his brain forever!)

29 Aug 2009     

ignis.fatuus
Poland

i once caught girls on exchanging some letters and, to my surprise, read they were writing about me having an affair with maths teacher ;) i wouldn ´t like to read that aloud !

29 Aug 2009