Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > What material is better for kids to organize things?    

What material is better for kids to organize things?

miarish
Portugal

What material is better for kids to organize things?

Dear teachers,

I would like an opinion. I �m going to teach this year kids with ages between 6 and 9 years old and I was wondering what �s the best for them to organize the worksheets and the subjects. A notebook, a dossier? What �s your experience?
I just want something that will be easy to maintain organized.

Any opinion? Please???

Thanks in advanced!!!

2 Sep 2009      

missveronica
Argentina

With small children I usually prefer 1 copybook for all subjects.
It helps them a great deal to get organized.

2 Sep 2009     

Carla74
Portugal

Hi, there, Miarish!

I usually ask my students to bring one of these:

It �s easy to carry and cheaper than a normal dossier (espeacially if you buy it in a "Loja do Chin�s" ou "Loja dos 300"!!) Smile

2 Sep 2009     

s.lefevre
Brazil

I like to use a dossier . You can perforate the worksheets and put them together in a folder.

2 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

It depends. Are they allowed to leave their work in class? Because if they are I would say that a binder is the best option.

If they have to take everything back and forth I �d suggest a duotang (folder). they are light-weight, inexpensive (here I buy them at the "chinos" for 0.60 euro)  and you can perforate the worksheets to keep them from getting lost.

2 Sep 2009     

Tere-arg
Argentina

A dossier, definitely.

If they are to keep it, they should have the pages numbered in case of "accidents"  Smile
There will be no excuse then to keep it tidy and in order.

It really works

2 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Don �t mean to offend anybody BUT "Dossier" isn �t the same thing in English as what you are talking about. It is one of those "false friends" we are always talking about.

A dossier in English is a private report (usually) on somebody or something.

I know what a "dossier" is because I live in Spain and it is often referred to that way but in English it is a "duotang" "portfolios" "plastic file" etc..

2 Sep 2009     

Jayho
Australia

Good point Zora - I was scratching my head at that term.  In fact, dossier is rarely used here, ever.

At the moment the buzzword in the school system is �portfolio � and �portfolio assessment �.  This simply means that it is a folder or binder containing work or a sample of the term �s work.  Work is generally kept in each students tray, a file, binder, plastic sleeve display book or manilla folder.  They are encouraged to take their worksheets and other items home regularly and if they don �t ... then it �s off to the round filing cabinet.

2 Sep 2009     

skittles
United States

I teach first grade-6 and 7 year olds and they have different colored folders (yellow for math, blue for reading) that they keep in their desks.  They also have a seperate folder for things to take home.  This works really well to keep their desks organized and saves time when they are looking for something specific.

2 Sep 2009     

miarish
Portugal

Dear teachers,

Thank you so much for your answers.
Concerning the word "Dossiers", to use it or not...well it exists, perhaps not in the sense I was looking but whatever...thank you Zora for the synonyms. I really couldn �t found the word :)

So, I �ve decided to ask my students to bring a folder :)

Kisses and thank you all once more!

3 Sep 2009