Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Games, activities and teaching ideas > FLASHCARDS    

FLASHCARDS

borna
Croatia

FLASHCARDS

I �ve downloaded so many fabulous food flashcards in this site, but I have only few ideas how to use them in class. I teach cooks and waiters, and I would really like to introduce some flashcards games to help them learn food vocabulary.

Any ideas / suggestions / games etc.?

Thanks in advance.

Sasa

2 Sep 2009      

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I mostly teach kindergarten kids using flashcards but they love the missing card game.  I have them look at all of the cards lined up on the board.  Then, I take one away while they have their heads down and tell them to open their eyes and guess what is missing.  Another game I play is to place the flashcards for the lesson around the room and have the kids race to stand by the card which I call out.  That would be fun to see your adults running around the room trying to find "zucchini". lol  

2 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

You �re right! That �s why I need help. I also know many useful games for young learners, that would not work with teenagers. So far, they �ve responded well when I used several flashcards to revise some vocabulary from the previous lesson, but I need some ideas on how to use flashcards for example when introducing new vocabulary (such as soups or salads for example). Until now, we usually gave our students a list of salads with translation to memorize and then we quizzed then on salads, but I �d like to change that, and make learning food names fun and easy.

2 Sep 2009     

patrenou
Argentina

Dear Sasa,
                   I don�t know your pupils age  but what works for me with kids  and also  teennagers and some groups of adults too is to play reataurant. You need food flashcards ( pizza, pasta, soup, ice-cream  etc)  2 o 3  menus,  a tray and I sometimes use fake money.You divide the group in 3. One group are the customers , 1 or 2 pupils are the waiters  and 1 or 2  are the cooks. The cooks have the food flashcards. The waiter goes to the customers and take their order using appropiate structures and vocabulary. Then the waiter goes to the kitchen and asks for the order. The cook  puts the order on the tray as he says the food  names in loud voice. The  waiter delivers the order repeating the food words    and using �Here You are�  �Whose is the soup?�etc. Repeat with the main course and the dessert. Then  the customer asks for the bill and you can have a pupil in charge of the cash register,  he/ she adds the bill  and they have to pay  and give the change.
                                I hope you�ll find this activity useful ( I have  napkins, plastic plates and glasses too to make it more real)

2 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

Dear patrenou,

I �ve already done that - they respond well, we �ve also played this in all possible variations (ordering breakfast with breakfast vocabulary, ordering lunch in a fish restaurant with only fish dishes etc.), and I �ve made so many menus for this game. But what I need is an idea or two to introduce a list od new food items, like soups, salads, desserts, and how to use flashcards in class for that.
My students are teenagers, age 15-18.

Thanks for your help.

Sasa

2 Sep 2009     

Zora
Canada

Hi Borna,

I often go through the flashcards with my young teenage students and ask them things about certain pictures. For example, if we are doing the house, then I ask them things like - what objects can you find in the kitchen? Or where can you find rugs? Can you think of a places to put a telephone?"

Or for food, I make sure I have flashcards of "soup, sandwich, pizza, hamburgers, etc." on hand and I ask them what things they would need to make soup or a hamburger, or what they like on their pizzas, etc.

2 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

Thanks Zora, that �s a good idea. I �ll certainly try that!

2 Sep 2009     

miss_yanis
Argentina

You can also play a team game, you dicide the class into groups of 4 or 5, and put all the flashcards upside down in the opposite corner of the classroom. You call a name (eg. salad) and one of each group has to go to the flashcards and find it. The first one to bring it to you gets a point. the group with more points is teh winner - my teen students love playing this game!

Another game is to make one student come to the front and describe the flaschard without naming it. the aim of the game is for the group to guess what the flashcard is- If you want to add difficulty to it, you can also add some forbidden words. For example: if the word is SALAD, some forbidden words could be: tomato, lettuce, onions... get it?

I �ll think of some more and tell u later.

Hope u find them useful!

Kisses!

2 Sep 2009     

Spagman63
Hong Kong

I am just brainstorming but what if you gave each S a flashcard and then had someone make an order and those holding said food items would have to make a line in front of the class?  I haven �t tried this but is sounds like fun.  It would let you know if they understand the flashcard or not.

2 Sep 2009     

class centre
Belarus

When I want my sts to learn some new words, I just hold the cards facing me, not the students and have them ask - is it a... ? And I answer - no, it is not a ... If a st guesses the picture, I exclaim - YEAH! This is a ....! And I give himher that picture to hold , up to the end of the game.
It works! If you have enough cards and repeat each time the word and reward the sts, they will enjoy it and learn better.
Good luck
Natasha

2 Sep 2009     

borna
Croatia

All your ideas are very useful, thanks a lot!!!!!!!!

2 Sep 2009     

1    2    Next >