Welcome to
ESL Printables, the website where English Language teachers exchange resources: worksheets, lesson plans,  activities, etc.
Our collection is growing every day with the help of many teachers. If you want to download you have to send your own contributions.

ESL Forum:

Techniques and methods in Language Teaching

Games, activities and teaching ideas

Grammar and Linguistics

Teaching material

Concerning worksheets

Concerning powerpoints

Concerning online exercises

Make suggestions, report errors

Ask for help

Message board

ESL forum > Teaching material > A2 level of the european langage framework- books/publications ideas needed    

A2 level of the european langage framework- books/publications ideas needed

cheezels
New Zealand

A2 level of the european langage framework- books/publications ideas needed

Hi everyone... I will be having a group that will be A2 level and am wanting to know what books/publications would be suitable for this level (adults)... I have stuff related to FCE level but I think that will be too difficult. Anyone using something now that is working well with adults? They will be below intermediate level but they have some knowledge- usually they have learnt English when they were at school but that was a while ago... so it sort of is a "middly" type of stage :-)
I want to buy a book to cut back on my planning time (as it is unpaid) and will then structure activities etc around the themes and grammatical topics. (it is only  short course as well so I want to let them see the book so that it motivates them to sign up for another course to continue the program.....)

*** I should also say that I don´t want to use books that have CDs or any listening.. just books that have themes and work to go with the themes... like reading, discussion and grammar.... (our listening will take the form of conversational pairwork activities...)

3 Sep 2009      

maayyaa
Slovenia

Heya,

I taught a pre-intermediate group this year and used Straightforward, but they were categorised as B1.

And you �re right, according to http://www.cambridgeesol.org/exams/exams-info/cefr.html FCE is already B2.

For A2 there �s also "Objective KET" (I used Objective PET for B1 and I find the book alright).

And the British Council suggests "Cutting Edge", but I haven �t used those, so I don �t know them.

Hope this helps a bit!

3 Sep 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Thanks! I will check them out.. I have time as the class doesn �t start for another couple of weeks..

3 Sep 2009     

arkel
Ireland

A2 is KET in the CEFR so any book at that level is fine. I �ve also used �Objective Ket � and liked it, but it does have listening and is geared to the exam. Browse through any book at KET level and decide which best suits you:)

3 Sep 2009     

Cyn.
Argentina

Dear Cheezels,
I use New English File for my adult courses and students love it!!!!

I strongly recommend them to anybody working with adults.
The themes are so interesting that students are eager to talk!!!!

I hope you find this useful!
Good luck!
Cyn

3 Sep 2009     

cheezels
New Zealand

Thank you all! Actually I had an email from OUP today with links for all the new english file books that the students can access and it has activities and loads of extra stuff to support the book so I am leaning towards that now too... Thanks! Time for a serious think!

3 Sep 2009     

arkel
Ireland

Face2face is also worth a look. I �ve used it with adulta with great success

3 Sep 2009